Predict the Score: POTUS EDITION

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 7, 2016.

?

Who wins POTUS & How?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2016.
  1. Hillary: Close Win (270 - 299 Electoral Votes)

25.0%
  2. Hillary: Easy Win (300+ Electoral Votes)

37.5%
  3. Trump: Close Win (270 - 299 Electoral Votes)

25.0%
  4. Trump: Easy Win (300+ Electoral Votes)

12.5%
  5. Neither Reaches 270

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No. The statement is that the state of Mississippi would get its representation in Congress. The people of Mississippi would each have on vote that contributes to the overall popular vote total, just as each person in New York does.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that how it already works? The individual vote is the basis of the popular vote but state population determines Congressional representation (and the number of EC votes)...

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The problem with the way the EC is set up now (and this, I believe, is a problem at the State level), is that it is winner take all.

Candidate A wins New York 51-49 in votes, and they get ALL the Electoral College votes. Divvy them up proportionately, and it wouldn't be so bad. Card's plan to hand them out by Congressional district and winner takes the 2 bonus state EC votes would be fine with me.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

[​IMG]

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/campaign-events-2016

5. Savage Orange

That would seem to be a more fair way to do it. If you look at several of the states HRC won, the county by county map shows the majority of these states voted GOP with only the population centers going blue... This is an inherently unfair deal as a democratic candidate need only campaign in two or three cities to lock up the whole state whereas a GOP candidate has to canvass the ENTIRE state to have a chance to win. Kudos to the dems for recognizing this and using it to their advantage but still....

6. Savage Orange

7. fl0at_

Memphis will always go blue. Nashville will pretty well go blue. Tennessee is red as hell.

Populations are pretty evenly spread out around rural and population centers, so I'm not sure where this whole "cities are choosing" idea comes from.

8. NorrisAlan

It was a "swing" state. Those 6 votes are important. Tennessee, on the other hand, with 11 votes, was so staunchly Trump that not even Trump felt the need to come here. It was a given. Same with New York.

States like TN and NY might as well not even exist in the election as far as deciding anything.

I have never liked the EC. Ever. It just seems antithetical to a democratic republic. My vote in TN in the last three elections meant ZERO as far as the outcome of the overall election. I do wonder how people advocating the EC would feel if they were living in New York and their GOP/Conservative vote meant jack?

9. fl0at_

It's the best system ever created to have people say "why bother voting?"

There is zero reason for me to vote for President in Tennessee. Zero. It is a complete waste of my time.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The voting system sucks, we clearly need to have a playoff system.

11. NorrisAlan

No-holds-barred Royal Rumble ladder cage match?

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I thought I was in the college football thread, sorry

13. Unimane

The Republican doesn't have to canvas the state as those rural voters go red almost by default. Trump certainly wasn't going anywhere but the cities. The Republican candidate can focus on the cities, or suburbs, while knowing they have an advantage in the rural regions.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Looks like it is going to be 306.

Congratulations to Tenny and DocHoliday.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Millions are asking the Electoral College to do the right thing and vote for Clinton.

16. Unimane

Technically, a lot of the electors could put whomever they want, though many states do not allow this. It would cause a complete constitutional crisis, though, and be completely unfair to Trump to change the expectations, if not rules, after the fact.

17. NorrisAlan

Yes. The idea of an Electoral College revolt is the worse than anything Trump can do as President. People asking for this should be shamed into submission.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that you can't change the rules retroactively.

On the flip side, the claim from the right is about the "tyranny" of the urban centers... which sounds ridiculous compared to the tyranny of the rural areas with less population.

19. MWR

MWR Contributor

Well, I voted with Tenny so he wouldn't be alone, but alas - I guess the voting machine was rigged and my vote was lost. Maybe an investigation is in order.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I intimidate you with my panther parties.