Trump Jobs Boom: 298k New Jobs in February

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 9, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure any job will be unsuitable for automation indefinitely. We are living in a civilizational revolution that is bigger than the written word, though it may take a century to play out.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

This is true. It's all driven by the bottom line, though. The undeniable truth is the US is one of the most costly places on the planet when it comes to wages. It's a huge motivator for corporations already in an endless cycle of driving down expenses.

You're spot on in time frame being the key. It's definitely going to happen; how quickly is the only question.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree in principle, but I think my kids will be long dead before it happens. i.e. i'm suggesting the pace will be slow enough for us to properly acclimate and not send the middle class into poverty.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I guess the question is when will AI get to the point where AI does the work to solve these technological problems for us.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I really find the automation topic fascinating, probably because I hear about it all the time. My husband's job primarily involves working with various operations centers to automate business processes. Now, it's typically smaller scale stuff but these are grey/white collar roles being fully or partially replaced by minibots. Some of it is really surprising.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't think that is even needed or important. I read somewhere that they are working on AI to answer phones, for instance. And when they started, it was getting 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 calls right. Last I heard it was down to 1 in 2 where getting done perfectly.

So say you are a phone person working for an insurance company that takes calls to change peoples policies or answer questions about a bill. A computer will do that instead of a human. So all those people that have these jobs will be instantly put out of work. I think we will see it in my kids' lifetimes.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's already been happening. you know how hard it is to get a real person at these places. call center jobs are either overseas or automated at this point. I mostly talking about replacing people that aren't easily automated. people that have to think on their feet rather than follow a script.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Pretty soon we'll all have a job, as organic batteries

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Well if that growth only extends to a certain line than yes. If my wages stay the same while the value of commodities goes up because the middle class and wealthy are driving them up, I'm not doing better. I'm doing worse.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

There's a fitness-culture-as-illuminati-conspiracy joke in here somewhere but I'm not going to do it.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a rising tide lifts all boats or at least has for the vast majority of American history.

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Eh, I worked in industry at a heavily automated plant, and while it was during a startup, there are plenty of things that just fail, and there's nothing any amount of automation can do about it. You need people to fix these things. And the amount of coding that it takes to run these processes automatically, it could be that it runs perfectly for 5 years through 99.9999 percent of situations, but then it trips to one, and a typo in the code ****s something up, and now you've got too much process whatever going to one place, or something. This is where humans are necessary, as the program cycles through its protocols and sequences, humans shut off the physical lines until other humans figure out what the cause is.

Just an example.

13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah but some boats just take on water. Again, even if wages rise, if inflation rises faster what is the point for the working class?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The rising tide of the last 15 or 20 years has not lifted all boats. That's what defined this last election.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wages almost always rise faster than inflation in strong economic times.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wouldnt' exactly call the last 20 years a rising tide. you have two significant market economic crashes in there along with 9/11. median incomes inflation adjusted are still near their all time highs anyway, wages just haven't risen faster than inflation since 2000.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I can't speak for the whole coal industry but here in North East Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky it's starting to improve.

I know a guy that runs a mine supply store and it's the busiest they've been in 15 years.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It wouldn't shock me if that's just optimism at work.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Please. It's relative. The numbers as reported are crap, but can be a good relative measure.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hey man, everything said here was accurate. I wouldn't hitch my wagon to that horse.