Trump Jobs Boom: 298k New Jobs in February

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 9, 2017.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The ADP estimate of 296k was smoking. The government estimate wasn't bad but wasn't amazing either.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The point is that it is not credible to give Obama no credit for the recovery that occurred during his presidency and simultaneously no credit for the healthy economic conditions Trump inherited while simultaneously crediting Trump. Doesn't work. It's nonsensical. Either Obama at the minimum allowed the ship to right itself then kept it steady, or presidents should get no credit for the economy at all.

The same thing happened with Clinton. With him, it is argued the economic gains enjoyed during his time were external to his presidency. Yet with Reagan, it was all him. I guess democrats are just lucky while with republicans it is all skill.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

President generally has little to do with the economy. Clinton was pro business or at least was once the republicans took over congress and should get some credit. He did inherit an economy that had already bottomed and the dot com bubble. Both bushes inherited an economy already turning negative by the time they took office. Reagan had a dramatic effect on the economy both psychologically and by policy. He inherited hyper inflation and unemployment numbers on par with 08 and made sweeping reforms which had a dramatic positive effect on the economy as seen by the now 40 year old job growth numbers that dwarf Obama's. Context is important. Some presidents deserve more credit than others.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

stick to faux warming stories.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, totally fake. Nothing happening. Gonna start cooling down any decade now. Maybe when ben's sun nap takes hold.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I know this will probably be met with scorn, but I just watched a helluva program. Chris Hayes and Bernie Sanders had a town hall type thing in rural West Virginia, coal country. This particular county voted 75% Trump. They're hurting and hurting badly with addiction, jobs, healthcare, infrastructure, you name it and they just about have it all. I really enjoyed hearing from these regular folks. Eye-opening.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's terrible how they have been used as a political football the last few years, without being provided much help in finding solutions. And that situation can be found all through the Rust Belt, Appalachia, the mineral belt of the Rockies, across the short grass prairie, and into the native villages of Alaska. The modern economy does not reach out into the hinterlands like it used to.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

A retired miner had the quote of the night when the topic of healthcare and pensions for retired miners came up. I can't remember verbatim, but went something like this: It's pretty sad that a senator from the northest (Sanders) is more concerned about us than Mitch McConnell.