POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I still believe the Dem party is highly fractured and pulling in different directions. I think Biden is the only one with enough clout to even challenge Trump. Can he carry Bernie supporters? What about Warren supporters? Will liberals fall in line and vote for party even if that candidate isn't really close to the candidate they hoped would win the nomination?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Bernie voters mistakenly thought Trump didn’t stand a chance and many stayed at home. I don’t know if there’s a dem candidate that would keep them at home this time.

With that said, Trump is now a sitting president. He’ll be hard to beat.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

They're united in their dislike of Trump. Whomever the nominee is, they'll likely get out the Dem vote simply because of their dislike of Trump, the same way many Republicans did for Hillary.

The key is the ones in the middle who haven't decided, although this group seems to be as small as it ever has been. They swung Trump in 2016, but he doesn't seem interested in cultivating people outside his base, for some reason. He's got a fight on his hands for 2020.

tvolsfan likes this.
  4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You severely underestimate how lazy people are

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Only when it’s someone other than Dems.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The question for any incumbent is, “Why wouldn’t you vote for him / want to make what change?” and that’s a sizable advantage for Trump. Better, he’s wasted neither time nor effort in trying to win votes that he’ll never get, and at the cost of alienating any of his base - which is of course the same trope that Dems have bamboozled the GOP into believing since at least 1992, and which has lead to largely disastrous results, ever since.

Turns out, votes aren’t weighted to reflect your degree of love / hatred of the candidate.

I’ll be interested to see how the Dems seek to answer that question - because if it doesn’t have sufficiently reasonable appeal to more voters beyond their base, he’s going to not only be re-elected, but in a walk.

I’ll go way out on a limb in saying that it’s even going to be more difficult for the Dems, as most of the main reasons they’ll give to vote Trump out will actually put them at odds with many of the majority of Independents on key issues (e.g. immigration, border security, abortion, trade, guns, etc.), and only unwittingly help and strengthen him.

But today, absent a complete and unexpected meltdown from Trump, I don’t see where the Dems have the clear-cut high ground on a single issue of election-swinging importance.

But, to be fair, the Dems are the party of enlightened geniuses, so it’s to be assumed that they see a better or more certain way forward to victory in 2020, than I.

In fact, I’m sure they do, and you can get a preview of it by just watching the replies to this post. Their benevolence in granting my education continues, and I can just hope to be smart enough to maybe sort of understand it, at the very least, and until such time as I see the error of my ways.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’m also not convinced trump is as despised as the left wants to believe. Midterms didn’t show some general outrage unless we want to believe the American public also hated Reagan, Clinton, and Obama.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

no one has ever been treated more unfairly on this website than Tenacious D.

9. Unimane

Who Dems? They voted in the midterms. Why wouldn't they in the presidential elections?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Midterms went the same as every sitting president for what 30 years? Trump kept the senate something Reagan, Clinton, and Obama couldn’t do. I’m not seeing a mandate from the voters there

11. Unimane

I never said anyone was lazy.

12. Unimane

The lack of self awareness is astounding.

13. Unimane

The Senate was very unlikely to turn Democrat, based upon which states were up and, had Trump been popular, Republicans would be pushing 60 seats in the Senate. The Senate isn't going to go to the Dems next year, either. It's set up is less favorable to the Democrats right now.

Besides, my premise isn't that Trump will lose, but that the election will be close and Trump is more likely to lose than win.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

look at the flood of people who hate trump:

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

eh. again even popular presidents have lost seats in the midterms.

i certainly don't think he wins in a landslide, but bernie or biden or warren ain't beating trump.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

let's face it if biden was a viable candidate he would have run last time around. dude is just goofy. and he's got the whole touching thing and years of awful quotes dating back decades.

17. Unimane

Any Dem could beat him, though. Hillary ran a shit campaign and was widely disliked and nearly won. It doesn't mean they will, but Trump is very vulnerable. He's got higher disapproval ratings than any president other than Jimmy Carter since WW II at this point in his presidency. His base is motivated. His oppositionis motivated. Where will the people who are more malleable vote? I think it depends on the state, but I think anyone who feels they have a good grip on what's going to happen is kidding themselves. And anyone thhinking a Warren, Biden or whomever can't win because they are shitty candidates fails to consider Trump is a shitty candidate, as well.

The only thing I'm relatively certain of is this will be similarly depressing shit show of a campaign as we saw in 2016.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Damn, thought i was reading a post about Trump there for a second.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

trump is the shitty candidate we know. and the economy is strong.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

very similar except the democrats are more prone to giving a shit about that.