Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

According to the director, show runner, someone or the other, it's because Americans are dumb.

All I know is I enjoyed the first season. The second season I quit on with two episodes to go, and I told the wife not to worry about me if she wanted to watch the third.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Been watching Suits

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

There has been significantly more boob time in the show than "gay time" so not sure the need to throw "woke" into the mix. It's shit writers that hate the source material but chose to leverage its popularity to bait and switch an audience into whatever shitty story they want to tell issue. I give no shits about a show writer's story, I want them to adapt the actual subject of the show into a TV format. The only reason I stuck through the end of this season was Cavil. Now that's he's gone to do 40K, I'll drop the show.

Seems like every somewhat recent show based on a fantasy series has suffered from this. I assume it happens with other genres as well.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I haven’t gotten around to the second drop of season 3. I actually really liked the last episode of the first. The rest of it, I haven’t hated it, but I’m not super into it.
    I also wish they’d stayed closer to the source material

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my kids watched the cartoons and I didn't see much of them, but this still looks really cool to me.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Rebels is next level Star Wars. I highly recommend.

droski likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

There are a bunch of good Clone Wars episodes too. And the last 4 are as good as anything else Star Wars has ever produced

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I mean, I don’t really care what vernacular you want to use. Don’t have much of an issue with someone who knows Dandelion isn’t bisexual in the source material calling it “woke” that they made him bisexual in the show.

For me, I wonder what reason is there to do that? And with Radovid, of all people. Like, they know what Radovid eventually becomes, right?

Just a stupid thing to change that serves no purpose other than to plug in some homosexuality/bisexuality.

I agree that these show/movie adaptations should stick closer to the source material.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Forgot about Gangs of London. Rewatched season 1. Almost done season 2. There are some fantastic scenes on this show. Lot of violence and even turned my head a couple times.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Great show

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Theo Von and Ric Flair, one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    zehr27 likes this.
  12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Ok, at the board's recommendation, I just watched "Cocaine Bear" based on "true events, circa 1985, with a cameo for Knoxville. All I can say, lmao!

I was torn between this thread and The Final Bow given that it was Ray Liotta's final film with dramatic line classics like ... "You've all got sand in your [ussies pay]."

I made sure I told a UT alumni from NJ who brags about going to NJ HS with Ray.

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It is a fantastically entertaining movie.

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It was entertaining. I laffed. And I made the wife watch it with me. I used the "based on true events" and "Knoxville" as the hooks.

Not something I would spend theater movie money on, but I did not get up to go pee, once.

Bonus, it gave me Ray Liotto lines to bust the chops of my NJ UT buddy and his incessant talk of how he went to HS with him.

InVolNerable likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

Rewatching Andor. It is even better the second time through.

gcbvol likes this.
  16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Pain Killers was pretty good on Netflix. Sad stuff.

17. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Sometimes The Righteous Gemstones can be a little cringe for me but overall I really like it. I think this season was really solid. The "fight" with the naked dude and BJ was hilarious. And Steve Zahn done really good with his character.

Watched all of Silo and it's a slow burn but overall I really enjoyed it. The cliffhanger is really friggin cool (not read the books).

Watched both seasons so far of Yellowjackets and my wife and I both really liked it. I thought Season 2 was a little disjointed but it's still a good story and Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci really brought it with their characters. I love both of them.

Watched both seasons of From and also loved it. But as someone who swears a decent amount on a daily basis, and who used to be a Foreclosure Manager and Repo Man, even I think the amount of F bombs dropped in this series is insane. Maybe in that situation I'd be dropping F bombs every other word also but it just seems like lazy writing sometimes. But enjoy the character development and story so far.

Have watched both full seasons now also of Only Murders in the Building. This is an odd show but Steve Martin, Martin Short, and the supporting cast are all for the most part great. I love anything Nathan Lane is in and glad to see him pop up.

After we binged all of the above I was recommended Wayward Pines. I guess I somehow missed out on it years ago when it come out but the first season was really well done and I loved it. I'm most of the way through the second and what would be the final season and just don't love it but do want to finish it out. It's definitely a big letdown from S1.

Unimane likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

First 2 episodes of Ahsoka were good. I liked seeing all the Rebels stuff in live action

19. NorrisAlan

Cannot wait to see them tonight. Rebels is one of my favorites.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Watched Episode 1 last night. Really enjoyed it. It "felt" like Star Wars.