The workout thread(Weighlifting/Running)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Aug 17, 2011.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I got a little jealous of the folks running the half a little after the split. I was running fine, felt good, and knew deep down that pain was coming. Of course if I had been running the half, I would have been pushing a lot harder at that point. My split at the half was about 1:53.

2. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Good stuff. I’ll do another full one of these days

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Great job guys.

Not a fan of running myself. I can't even bring myself to running a 5k.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Damn, that's impressive. My wife tried to get me to do the Nashville half, but I cap at a 5k. Just get too bored running for that long.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's dumb. Much more productive to lift heavy things.

warhammer likes this.
  6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well, I've recovered to the point my wife and I had a serious conversation this morning about doing Nashville or Knoxville in the spring. Getting to finish on the 50 at Neyland is something I'm having a hard time putting out of my head. Nashville would be a bit simpler, but Neyland>>>>Adelphia/LP/whatever the Titans' stadium is called.

7. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

When is the Knoxville one? I’ve wanted to do it

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

March 25. I've been told by two different people the first half is kind of hilly, but it gets easier as you get to the second half on the full. I'm terrible translating the course profiles to the real world.
    https://knoxvillemarathon.com/

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Nashville is about a month later. I've also rolled around the idea of doing the half in Knoxville and the full in Nashville, but that would be a bit much right now as far as travel, personal obligations, etc.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Not sure if being sarcastic or not. No hate for those that choose to run.

I do prefer lifting and think it is more productive overall for my goals though.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

[uck fay] running. And Yankeevol would run circles around me for days but he's also like 5'2 128 so that's a factor, imo. siap.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

13. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

My only experience is with the nonspecific type, and limited.

In general, the info from Mayo is pretty good and better than a lot of the www stuff.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Is that what you followed? Did it work?

15. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

I have not had it myself. A relative got loosely diagnosed with the nonspecific type, didn't do anything about it, and it went away.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

That sounds cool. I can run, but sort of hate it, so I rarely do. Never done more than a 10k.

17. Bdouble

Bdouble Member

I'm 39 and have enjoyed lifting since high school. I am not a big guy(5 foot 9, currently about 150lbs) but I like the feeling of lifting heavy things. I have found excuses over the years to be lazy and stop lifting such as nagging injuries, busy life, financial struggles, etc. Every time I get in a groove life seems to kick me in the balls. In August of 2016 I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS and that was the mother of all kicks thus far. I spent a few weeks worrying and feeling sorry for myself, and then I decided [uck fay] it, I'm just going to hit it hard until I just can't hit it anymore. I do 3 shots of Copaxone every week, which sucks because I have little fat to inject into, and I lift 5 to 6 days a week. No set days or schedules, just every day that I can without overdoing it. I typically don't usually care what others think of me, but I don't want people to look at me and see a label(that guy has MS). I want people to see a guy who puts in work no matter what. I want my kids to think Dad works 50 hours a week, helps with homework, helps with dinner, helps with housework, and still finds the energy to workout. I want my kids to know they can do anything if they work hard for it. I have recently started doing a lot of supersetting and I really like it. They make my workout quicker, while still providing a great pump. Sorry for the long winded post. I haven't really talked much about my diagnosis or my goals, and after I started typing it just kind of flowed out. Thanks for letting me ramble.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Keep kicking ass

RockyHill and Bdouble like this.
  19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I started the keto diet back in May and have lost 82lbs (292 to 210). I want to get to 180, which I last saw in 5th grade, IIRC.

After the first month, it's easy. I don't even notice or think of it as a diet. It's just what I do now. I'm proud of myself for losing it, but also wonder what the [uck fay] was wrong with me to allow myself to balloon up like that.

I didn't want to worry about fitting into rides at theme parks with the kids. Or the buckle on flights. Or dropping dead at 45. I didn't want to be the fat dad for my kids.

To be clear, unless any of you are intimidated while imagining my Adonis-like figure, I'm just less "morbidly obese", but still a fat ass.

I'm not a runner, but like to walk. Curiously, the less fat my ass is, the easier it is for me to walk, and the more I desire / have the energy to do it. I'm pretty sure that I'm the first person to ever discover this truth.

And, as a bonus, the shrinking fat on top of my penis has allowed the Chubby Funster protuberance to extend beyond the normal micro-micro-micro penis size and damned near threatens to be just a plain ol' micro-penis at this point. I hope that the little guy can shoot out to the far reaches of being merely "laughably small" at my goal weight. So, line forms to the left ladies, and don't hydroplane while rushing to get into it.

Bdouble likes this.
  20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Good work TD. Show the ladies what the tiny jackhammer can do now