2016 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Name some other reasons not to vote for Trump, outside of those.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

There are plenty, but you would dismiss them all immediately and without good reason, so why bother?

Also, have you considered that the "vote for Gary is a vote for Hillary" thing won't apply to most posters here?

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, you certainly seem sure.

Have you considered that I don't give one whit as to what will or won't apply to any single person or group, here? Have you read any of the dozens of posts that I've written in the last year or so, and which perfectly examples that I do not consider what does or does not play well here?

When you're ready to list the reasons why a reasonable person wouldn't vote for Trump, i'm happy to give them a fair and considered audience.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Pretty sure I'm voting for Gary Johnson. Like as in, I'll cast my vote with the box next to the words "Gary Johnson" checked, and barring some illegal things going on in my precinct, it will get counted among his millions of votes nationwide. I believe that's how that specific part works. Now if you want to get into him actually getting into the White House, that's a bit more complicated. But my vote will be a vote for Gary Johnson. And I guess Bill Weld. But definitely not Hillary Clinton. Or Donald Trump. Again, barring illegal actions in my voting precinct.

5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Now, say that popular vote was determining factor for deciding the president. If I were to vote for Gary Johnson and Hillary Clinton were to win, even by one vote, it will mean that a majority of people in this great United States of America have voted for Hillary. Democracy!

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Because I despise authoritarianism. I thought conservatives did too.

7. RockyHill

Tenny, I can respect anyone's decision to vote for Trump instead of Hillary. Hillary is a terrible candidate and is the perfect embodiment of what is wrong with our political system. With that being said though, there's a mile long list of legitimate reasons why a reasonable person wouldn't vote for Trump, and I'd rather not go 10 rounds where you pull your typical "I promise I will be open-minded" bit.

And I'm still curious about the other topic, the "wasted" vote. I think most Tennesseans who plan to vote for Gary Johnson are aware that if they don't even show up Trump will still win. So what does it hurt to vote for Gary?

8. RockyHill

Nate Silver/FiveThirtyEight now have Trump's chance of winning above Hillary's.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't think it gets better for her from here. Trump might be bad, but the corruption thing is finally catching up with her. Myriad people have been saying for two decades now that she's a completely corrupt and miserable human to be around. It's getting very hard for her and the minions at the DNC to keep it bottled up.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Convention bump and the recent news has had its effect. The Democrats have this week to work in their own bounce.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the stats guys tend to ignore the bounces and interim data blips.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

What's the point of bragging about projection accuracy when you project both people winning at one time or another. Sounds like they're already guaranteed to have nailed it again!

13. Unimane

14. Unimane

But, they don't tout that they had the correct spread in September for the actual results in November. It is a relatively accurate portrait as the campaign moves along with the ones being more demonstrably correct in November, as that's the election.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Going to be a hell of a bump with Hilary being the nominee because of the **** you that's why method and light being shined on her selling appointee positions for donations.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Won't. It take til Friday to see the full Trump bump? Thought this stuff takes a full week to properly poll.

17. Unimane

Also, I disagree with Tenny on the factor of Gary Johnson. I get the sense that he siphons more voters from Clinton than Trump.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I can understand why they're wanting to take more control over the internet as it might be the only thing that could have stopped Clinton from winning

19. Unimane

Yes, like I said, the Wikileaks thing, to me, is a possible game changer. Bernie voters were probably going to come around, particularly with Sanders about to pledge his support to her. But, if they can't stop the leaking of disaffected Bernie voters, then they are in serious trouble. The Dems have a fantastic series of speakers going for them this week and they need to kill, along with Hillary pulling some charm off, not exactly her strong suit. If they can suture the wound, then, barring another major story, they can go into the debates in a close race.

20. Unimane

Yeah, but the weekend polls are a good snapshot. I'm sure there will be a flurry of data in the next few days and then following the convention in Philadelphia.