8th Gardening thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by farmersdaughter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. farmersdaughter

farmersdaughter Active Member

here's what the game warden told us about how to keep deer out of the garden. He said to run a hot wire around the garden and fold pieces of aluminum foil across the wire. Slather the foil in peanut butter so when the deer lick it they get the snot shocked out of them

2. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

That's a good game warden

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Yes for sure. I should have mentioned that, another benefit. We put newspaper down between the rows for the walkways so the weeds have very few places to get started. Also, we kept a large compost pile going and a green tea barrel working. We also used coffee grounds and egg shells. I had a manure source in the form of an Arabian horse, so never bought any store fertilizer. Once established, raised bed gardening is a whole bunch easier than conventional gardening.

4. MWR

MWR Contributor

I fired up the Honda tiller and set out to plow my cantaloupes and watermelons today. Got half way done and broke the drive belt. Same thing with the mower yesterday, broke the belt that drives the deck. I must need some kind of titanium steel belts on these machines.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My hands are raw as hell worked the garden and then tedder around 30 acres of hay.

6. farmersdaughter

Are you on your 2nd cutting?

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sadly no. This rain has been killing us. We have three fields put up, but two more to go.

8. farmersdaughter

fingers crossed* we are looking at 3 cuttings this year if it doesn't turn off dry. We will be taking the 2nd cutting next week if we get a decently dry week

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I just got home after 10 days away. I'm ashamed to post pics of my garden. Give me 3 or 4 days to work on it.

10. MWR

MWR Contributor

Come on. Gardening is kinda like marriage, for better or worse. Besides, you may have some healthy weeds to post pictures of. And a man's gotta take pride in whatever crop he grows. Right?

11. JayVols

Oh I have pride. That's why I'm running the TroyBuilt through it as soon as it cools down this evening after an 8ish hr drive. I'll post pics after I plow. In my defense, I've been gone for 10 days, and it would never quit piss-pouring long enough to get semi-dry enough to plow the whole week before I left. I have a lovely crop of green algae growing in the pool where all the storms tripped my ground faults, though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  12. farmersdaughter

Im gonna post pics of the wally-melon patch in a few then. The johnson grass is really thriving lol

13. farmersdaughter

Take it easy for a day or two, maybe the rain thats coming in will drown the weeds

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We got it all rolled but about 20 rolls. We'll have to tedder it again and finish it tomorrow. Got around 150 rolled out before the rain got caught us.

15. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

wife and I just built a little firepit together. Went to Home Depot and bought 72 stones. Looks pretty decent and didn't take us too long.

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

I've got water knee deep in my melon patch today. Before next year, I'm going to have to do some kind of water diverting work. Of course, then next year will be one of the driest on record. But that's the challenge.

17. JayVols

I started tilling around 7:15. We dodged the storms today, so I was able to at least get the soil right next to my plants turned. I'll get the middle of the rows tomorrow evening hopefully. Then, I've got a bit of hand pulling in the rows to do.

18. JayVols

My soil (river bottom) has just the right amount of sand- drains very well, but doesn't let it just run off or dry out too fast. I can usually plow the next day after a heavy rain.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Anyone want to offer up some advice on dealing with these? I have seen a couple here or there in years past, but this year has brought them out in force.

Edit... Technical difficulties, please stand by

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  20. farmersdaughter

[​IMG]

There are so many melons playing hide and seek in the weeds. Looks to be a good year