8th Gardening thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by farmersdaughter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

I've grown very fond of artichokes. Can only imagine the deliciousness of homegrown, fresh ones.

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Asparagus is neat, you only have to plant it once. I bet some fresh properly cooked (too many overcook) would garner more takers.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Wet ground has rurnt my corn twice. Flood knocked out some of my beans.

On the good. Granny has done pickd 4 five gal. bucket fulls of squash in two days. Okra, maters, cantaloupe, and butter beans are coming on.

Weird growing season with the rain. Its normally dryer than a popcorn fart by now.

4. farmersdaughter

farmersdaughter Active Member

Our beans washed right off the bat, then a screw worm has ended up killing several of our squash plants, but all in all it looks to be a good year

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've had crows destroy one, and only one, row of my corn....twice. The plants get about an inch tall then they pull it up and eat the seed. I've put out pie pans on baccer sticks and put down rubber snakes and all. I hate those things.

Oh, props for using "rurnt". One of my favorite words.

FD, I've never saved 'mater seeds before, but give me a tutorial if I need to do anything special to get them. I'll be happy to send you some Cherokee purple seeds.

6. MWR

MWR Contributor

Both of our gardens are located in low laying land. We were rained out thru all of May and some of June. Mud is not what you want to garden in. But I finally got some corn, watermelons, cantaloupes, and potatoes planted. And my wife has the tomatoes in the ground. We are behind, but things are happening. I may post some pictures, if any of it gets big enough to photograph.

7. farmersdaughter

awesome! we just pop them out on paper towels and loosely lay a papertowel over them then lay them out on top of dryer or just somewhere its warm and dry. if your garage isnt air conditioned, then just a shelf out there will work. once the seeds dry ( crispy goop is the level we go for) they are ready to freeze or mail :) I owe you one for the mater seeds. Let me know and I will trade you some of this red okra we plant

8. farmersdaughter

our watermelons are doing unbelieveably.

Also, we talked to the extension agent for this area and were told some sort of worm has got in here and is killing the melon vines by eating to root.

9. farmersdaughter

been many a corn cutting party that we have had to pop shotgun pellets out of our ears as we were working them up. daddy and pap are firm believers in the 12 gauge lol

10. MWR

MWR Contributor

Ain't it amazing how durable weeds are? They spring up from seemingly nowhere, and if you pull them up and toss them aside, often as not they will take root again and continue on. And yet one tiny worm destroys a melon plant.

I guess gardening is a war of attrition that tests the soul.

11. farmersdaughter

I believe it, johnson grass is the devil, and will live through the apocolypse

12. MWR

MWR Contributor

And if you do anything to it, that will cause it to spread even more.

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

When you loosen the soil to the extent and depth that raised bed does, you can place your plants closer together allowing more produce per sq ft, and root crops can grow faster and larger due to less resistance of the soil. Also called double dug bed gardening. Essentially you rototill a row and dig out all the loose dirt, then put the tiller down in the "ditch" and run it through again. Replace the dirt being careful not to walk on it. A lot of work once, but you can go years without doing anymore digging or tilling. If you stay off the beds. Mulch well with newspapers or plastic. you can put your potatoes, onions, beets, etc half as far apart, and corn as well. Bean, pepper and tomato plants will amaze with how large they get.

14. Beechervol

Yeah, Ive had crows do that before too. I haven't seen the first crow this year. Guess the deer and rabbits are keepin em run off.

15. Beechervol

Ive got so much squash right now Im havin to give it away to people I don't like.

What? buckshot adds a nice flavor.

16. JayVols

Sounds good.

17. JayVols

It's morning glories and ragweed at my place.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Wow thanks. I'm going to do it.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Use redwood or cedar for your wood. You don't want treated.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I've got a book on it that I could email the highlights of to you if you will PM your address.