An explanation for religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 10, 2013.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait, I've read a book on this. Does he hang out with a prostitute for awhile before hitting the road again?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is the sequel, came out 500 years later.

Seriously, though, all those that start religions seem to have a similar MO. Go hang out somewhere for a long time, have some sort of vision, and then come back and tell about it.

The reason I have taken to Buddhism, however, is that there is no divine wellspring that everything comes from. At its heart, it is more of a philosophy and way to train your mind. Try it, if it works for you, great! If not, hopefully you find something that will. You don't take anything on dogma or because the Buddha said it. You have to try it yourself, and you have to do all of the work. And it is work, and not easy.

The myths, stories and absorptions of other local religions over the centuries, I pretty much leave alone. I don't believe in Brahma, ghosts, or anything else. It was just a sign of the times when this was all written down.

Buddhism also has a long history of self inspection, and if something is shown to be false (like its cosmology), it tosses aside instead of trying to shoehorn it in or demanding we remain faithful in spite of contradictory evidence.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm too addicted for Buddhism.

4. NorrisAlan

It is definitely something you have to have a desire to do.

The meditation and techniques to recognize my emotions for what they truly are has helped me immensely over the last 2 years, however. Even if you don't follow lockstep with Buddhist thought (emptiness, interconnectedness, etc), meditation I think can help most people.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I prefer drinking

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Amen! Alcohol Akbar!

7. NorrisAlan

Fortunately for my practice, I cannot stand alcohol. I have had one beer and one glass of champagne in my life time (not bragging, as I personally have no issues with people moderately drinking) and it tastes horrible.

And like everything else in this world, the alcohol is very temporary and ends up causing more suffering. However, as Tennessee fans (or God forbid, a Cal fan [have no clue what karma you performed in your previous life to deserve that]) we on general must self medicate. Either through meditation or imbibing in adult beverages.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It always tastes terrible the first time. Try try try again

If I didn't have alcohol I doubt I could watch the games.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

How can you see the game through the tears?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm usually more angry then sad

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Two things

1.) I met a guy at church named Aslan

2.) I thought of old IP when one of the elders was praying for missionaries heading to Bolivia. During his prayer, he said we ask for your blessings for those born less fortunate than us due to their circumstances.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bolivia- 99.6 % Christian.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

You never disappoint

14. NorrisAlan

Yeah, but they are in South America. Thus Catholic.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep. Can't have that, now can we?

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

17. NorrisAlan

As well as for all of the innocent Shiites being killed by the Sunnis and all of the innocent Sunnis being killed by the Shiites. The whole area is a big mash of mush.

18. NorrisAlan

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Any Phycology Majors out there?

[​IMG]

20. dknash

dknash Chieftain

, fashion