Assassins Creed III

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BearCat204, Oct 12, 2012.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I do use the spyglass frequently and like you don't bother with the small stuff much. I do most of my traveling on the North side of the map and I noticed one of those hints saying the bigger ships are to the South. I'm sure part of it is that I'm not taking on the bigger boys just yet so I'm only collecting sugar and rum for the most part. I've just recently unlocked the Kenway's Fleet thing where I can task various ships for various things. It seems similar to the deployment of assassins idea. Some of those have good resource returns though.

Oh, and am I crazy for thinking that James Kidd guy walks and talks like a girl? Did you notice that?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Hah. Very impressive. The truth comes out later, but you nailed it. Not a dude.

The bigger ships are to the south. You can sail right around the eastern edge, capture that fort and run into a ton of big boys. Usually the Spanish and the English are fighting, bur I always found one or two stragglers and took them out. If the fight was going south I hauled ass for my fort and let the fort sink them.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Ha, I just chalked it up to bad acting/voice over. Now that I know it's definitely obvious. That's a good idea about utilizing the fort for protection. I hadn't thought about that. I have a few forts on the North side. I'll try and take one a little further down South.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I"m about 75% through the campaign and still loving the game. I've got my ship up to around 90% so I'm destroying everyone I come across. I've taken down two legendary ships and still have two more to go. I did get the Templar armor and the armor for getting all of the Mayan keystones.

5. fl0at_

Nice. Is the Mayan the armor that keeps you from being harmed from gunfire?

If so, that's the one I used most.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It is. Pretty cool looking too. I'm doing everything I can to keep from continuing with the campaign. I'm afraid once I beat it it will be a little bit before I go back and play.

7. fl0at_

I beat it too early, and then it was like pullin teeth to go back and do pretty much anything.

I got the armor early, but I was probably about where you are when I dd my first dive.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Fl0at, are you getting Unity?

9. fl0at_

For the first time in many years, my wife is not going to Florida for a week. I usually get a full week to myself to live like a single slob, and that is my Assassin's Creed time.

So I probably won't get it at release, but we'll see.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Have not been a fan of the combat in AC4. Been awhile since I played the others, but this seems less fluid. Also, lots of crowded fights in shady areas where you can't tell friend, foe, or Edward apart.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I watched a video yesterday and the lead developer (or whoever was commenting) said they changed a lot of the combat stuff. Visually, it looked amazing like it always does. I'm sure I'll get it at some point but my next purchase will be GTA V for the PS4.

12. Richard Dick

Richard Dick New Member

Unity is really cool. Especially if you've ever been to Paris or like studying the French Revolution. Very realistic, beautiful game.

13. fl0at_

I bought Unity a few days ago, but haven't been able to play.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You typing via voice transcription?

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

My wife bought Unity for me. I've played a few hours but the majority of that was tutorial type of stuff along with the storyline. Visually it's awesome but I didn't notice some lagging during the game as though it was too much for the PS4 to process. I've read other talk about it but I just experienced last night for the first time when I was climbing around in a church.

Last night I completed the Assassin indoctrination (where you get all the cool weapons) but didn't play much past that.

16. fl0at_

Played a few hours this week. Super long load times, but does look great.

There are some mechanics stuff that sucks. They incorporated a lot of stealth into the game, but failed mightily. If you are in cover, you cannot move around a corner. This happens along tables and other mid map objects. You have to leave cover, then reestablish cover. Which usually gets you busted.

The guards are pretty clueless, though, so that helps.

The thing I absolutely hate is all the in game requests for money. When you upgrade your character's gear, you can buy it, or "hack it." I thought hacking it would include puzzles, but no, it is actual money you pay for fake money.

There is an in game "companion" app that you have to run to do certain things, but reading up on it, it is buggy and can delete saves. So that's a no go for me.

Basically, I'll just play the story and hope I'm not missing out. And I get the co-op angle, but I'm not doing it, so will miss out there as well.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've played a little Unity. It gets rolling a little slowly, but it's starting to pick up a bit. Story isn't nearly as interesting as the older ones with Ezio. The futuristic DNA crap also kind of gets annoying. I just want to play the game. If you want to tell me a story, try to do it in less than 8 games.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Here's my review. Keep in mind that I haven't played the America or pirate AC games.

1. The game has a lot of potential from a "stealthy" perspective, but as float said, it doesn't quite take full advantage of the opportunity. The "cover" function is broken in a number of ways. You can't move from one object to the next while in cover, forcing you to leave cover and walk to the next cover spot, which often gets you spotted. Also, cover kills are so broken that I almost avoid them all together. The idea that a guard can watch as one of his buddies gets stabbed and disappears behind a wall and not see you or at least assume you're hiding behind that wall is ridiculous. I have killed as many as four guards in a row, one after the next, using this method, and each one just runs right up to the corner like he didn't see what just happened.

2. Some of the items at your disposal are solid while others are worthless. I've used more of them in this game than I did in all of the other AC games combined. Smoke bombs are phenomenal, and cherry bombs work great as distractions. Still, some of them are somewhat worthless. I haven't used the money drop one even once.

3. If you are going to show me every single chest on the map, at least go through the trouble of labeling the locked ones based on the level required to unlock them.

4. I wish the game had more running/climbing/jumping missions with set paths that still feel spontaneous. I'm thinking of the beginning of a previous game where you are jumping from one exploding ship to the next, aware that the game is laying out a path for you but still feeling the excitement of possibly being consumed in flames at any point. Those missions are fun, but there just aren't very many in this game. They're all in the rifts that are set in different time periods.

5. The story just didn't do it for me this time around. It seemed short and rushed. They devoted what, 3 games to Ezio's story? Arno just seems so much less important. I guess they could always involve him in more games, but I've seen stuff about the next game being set in Victorian England.

6. I'm not sure the Companion App is worth it. It's essentially the same thing from one of the old games where you recruit assassins and send them out on missions. Most of my rewards up to this point have been chests worth 250 coins. The only reason I'm still even doing the app is to unlock Altair's master assassin outfit. If there is another benefit here that I'm missing, feel free to inform me.

7. The multiplayer is actually quite a bit of fun. It's interesting to see other peoples' styles and approaches on various missions. I wish there was a way I could play with my little brother on the same console, though.

8. I like the way the major assassinations are set up, where you have different options for how you want to approach both the act itself and getting there. I do feel like they could have come up with more of these as well as better ones. Some were clever while others were meh.

9. The side missions need help. They seem to offer almost nothing of value, and I honestly don't know that I will play any of them. I do the renovation missions at all my clubs (or whatever they are called) to make a lot of money, but the other side missions seem like a waste of time.

10. I was afraid after first seeing the Eiffel tower in game that I would not get a chance to climb it. The WWII occupied Paris rift was pretty cool. Kind of stupid to act like Arno could take machine gun fire from a plane and not die though.

19. fl0at_

One week until Syndicate. Supposed to be everything Unity failed to be. No multiplayer focus, no companion app, just single player game play.

[​IMG]

20. fl0at_

As far as Unity, if you never came back to it, they removed all the companion app stuff, and unlocked all the chests that were locked.

They also gave out some free DLC.