Bowling Green instant reaction

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 2, 2021.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I also feel like these days with defense there is putting pressure on the QB and not much else matters

2. cpninja

cpninja Member

I thought we looked better than I expected(not a high bar to cross admittedly). I mean yeah we looked bad compared to the August sunshine pumping sessions but if you showed me that game in the spring it'd have made me more positive about the season as a whole.

Now if all our opponents come out on Saturday and light it up even more against higher quality opponents, sure, I'll be pessimistic but right now this still feels like a 4-8 team with a 6-6 schedule

VOLinDAWGland and IP like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

they have 9 days to learn how to complete a string of passes.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I've said this previously, but you've got to try guys in game situations. Some player just perform better in the limelight and some only do it during practice. I know coaches love players demonstrating the goods in practice, but no one wins games on the practice field. Milton may be the best QB Monday through Friday, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if he isn't the best option on Saturday.

TDVol1989 and A-Smith like this.
  5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Also, I'm not sure what's going on in practice with the RBs, either, but Evans looks like a stud. I wonder if he's the #1 very soon.

Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

You just seem so similar.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Evans was hurt in spring so they are really just seeing and saw his gamer potential.
    -Both rbs showed good vision and feet to me.
    -Hyatt has had the drops for months and is trying to catch like a 5th grader in kickball, which means he is thinking about it.
    -not freaking out on qb yet. He moved more in the pocket than some saw and he doesn't look fast but can still give us an option for 3-4 yards and a couple 10+ yards. Film session for him will be embarrassing. I believe Heup will give him more than a chance to correct and im glad. First game as HC and qb controversy is not needed. Milton will get a shot, not get benched, but if after 3-4 games and in film room, he isn't seeing the matchups and windows (te man to man down the seam with the back of an lbs jersey staring at you and trailing the wr is a no brainer throw), Heup will sit him for someone who can, if they can.
    -though OL looked confident and strong most of the time

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Evans looked way better than Small to me. Jaylen Wright is supposed to be good too but did he play?

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

now I am intrigued. we need ama's

10. Ssmiff

-DL looked good to me. They couldn't run or drop back, so they did misdirection and rollouts. Good coaching. We were dominating so when you are dominated up front you move the pocket and take them out of the play. Hard to see all the numbers and who is in and out but Terry and #51 stood out, going against inferior talent but good to see them do what they were supposed to do. Tremblay also. Reminded me of somebody.
    -Banks read and reacted fast. Noticed him more than #10.
    -#1 looks confident back there. Theo balling at star. Good player since he's been here really. Didn't notice the transfer dbs.
    D had an ok night. Didn't show much. 90% of BG yards were rollouts and quick throws to dink and dunk and work the clock down.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

good post, reasonable.

12. Ssmiff

Late. Hes young. Doesnt look natural early on to me. Also a little upright but he may be the fastest on the team so we need to get him in space.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Banks was noticeably meeting the point of attack almost instantaneously. He looks like he can just instinctively play in this defense.

Memtownvol, CardinalVol and Ssmiff like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

that late fumble looked to be on hooker. I would have felt a lot better has they let us see him throw, and/or had he not sabotaged his own snap count.

15. Ssmiff

It was. He was looking right and trying to pull it out too late
    And Uni and others have mentioned coaches sticking with kids who don't appear to be gamers. Gotta give heup a chance to see it and try to correct it. Guarantee we won't be here in 3 years having the same debate about gamer issues with a qb. Josh was a gamer so he knows

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We seemed to have far fewer penalties that in past years. Those were always drive/momentum killers.

I am also happy, given our depth, we seem to have gotten out of the game without any serious injuries.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You look at Heupel's history, he's always got 2 backs splitting the carries. He's going to rotate and ride the hot hand

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wright got a few carries late, he ran against 9 man fronts. He's all speed

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

-I think we'll be able to run the ball on 50-75% of our schedule.

-Theo Jackson showed up

-Like the tempo of the offense. More quick hits, especially if we're riding with Milton

-DL can be solid

Memtownvol likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It seemed like all the penalties happened at the tail end of the 1st quarter and the twi possessions in the 2nd.