Butch is working hard

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cpninja, Aug 2, 2016.

1. cpninja

cpninja Member

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That's almost. Nope. Scratch that. It is. That's embarrassing.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Twitter is the perfect forum for Lyle. You cannot say much and it lends itself to quips and stupid sayings.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not as embarrassing as his recruiting this year or his coaching the past 3 years

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Groves off the top rope. So true.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

when Kiffin is getting to make fun of you because you can't keep guys in state, you suck.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I don't understand why anyone is freaking out about a class when we are 6 months out from signing day.

8. GahLee

It won't be embarrassing when the rest of the coaches start doing the same. He's just out in front.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

because the best players in state, including some legacy types, have all defected.

Winning this year can change some minds, but in my world, we're far more likely to lose recruits over the course of our season than win them.

10. GahLee

Can't win them all.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Unless you are Clemson, competing against UT. I think last year at this time we were still in on a ton of big time names. Seems like a lot more of those names have gone ahead and committed early this year. They didn't choose us.

12. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Because we have reached the point, and this happens for everyone, that we can no longer sell the future. When a coach gets hired into a rebuild he can sell something other than the on field product for a while. That time is over and people (like ALL people) are now going to notice that Butch can't coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

So what I mentioned above could be a pretty big issue, but when you couple it with the fact that we might give Butch a lifetime contract for a 10-4 season and that said 10-4 season would not stop the recruiting slide and possibly accelerate it, there's reason to be panicked.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not freaking out, but he's missed on everyone. He's got Ty Chandler, Trey Smith, Cam Akers and DeAngelo Gibbs left as "big fish". Even if he gets all four, it's a disappointment considering what the in state talent is.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can understand not going after Rutmeier very hard, he's got 4 really good DT commits. Jacoby Stevens didn't grow up here and has family in Louisiana, probably a Tiger. Tee Martin's son will not play for Butch. Those aren't reasons to panic.

I get why Hayden wasn't a priority due to Akers and Chandler but I would rather have him than random guy Butch will cut bait with in January.

Losing an OL to Muschamp is a pretty big deal. Ignoring an elite QB that grew up a Tennessee fan to chase Emory Jones, an all but guaranteed Ohio State lock, is a big deal. Losing a 5 star WR that lives 20 minutes from Knoxville due to your WR coach being worthless is a big deal. Going from leading for an elite LB to not even making his final 3 is a big deal.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it's funny people say this is some amazing recruiting tool (not saying you but there are analysts saying how it "changes recruiting") and the guy that's been kicking ass for the last 8 years doesn't have a twitter account

16. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Make it to Atlanta and I think he'll be fine. Off season coaching changes will change the recruiting landscape a lot

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

These losses are more about the past than the future.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I feel like Atlanta is roughly 3 light years from Bortch's office.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is true, but this team will have to get to Atlanta in spite of Butch, not because of Butch

20. GahLee

Dude, that would be a great class.