Butch Jones is a solid hire.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

So you'd support 7-6, 8-5, 8-5? I'm just trying to understand why you jumped down my throat for not even supporting that. I was never supporting the AD's decision, or mediocrity. I was just saying that he's not going to be Dooley where it's absolutely easy to tell that he's never going to come close to even getting an East title. Which worries me, because he'll be given time by an AD that will be paying lots of buyouts and will have no support from boosters. Of course maybe the relationship between the AD and boosters can be mended when Hart and Cheek get canned.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The class of '11 wasn't a complete failure, I think his first one will be a lot like that, and he'll just plateau.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

At this point, I have zero confidence that anyone associated with UT can do anything right.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That's why I'm afraid.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You may be right. We just don't have evidence.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Despite the presence of a new coach and "era" in Tennessee football - I will hasten a guess that they won't sell out the first home game. And may not sell out one all season.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Why stop at 4 conference championships? Why not 16? Would have lined up with the rest of his press conference.

(not specifically addressing you, TV)

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

CBJ is completely unproven in my book. He took over two programs after Brian Kelly that were far higher up the totem pole in their respective conferences than Tennessee is at this point. He was at each for 3 years, which isn't quite long enough to really step out from the shadow of the previous coach's success.

100% a trust me hire. I guess at least we're trusting Tressel (?) this time vs. whoever recommended Dooley, assuming that it was an actual person rather than his willingness to accept the job without an interim tag.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Funny that Cincy never represented the Big East in the BCS under Jones. He lost the tiebreaker for the "championship" so it's hard for me to call him Big East champion. He's never gotten past co-championship and never been in the BCS.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He won outright championships in the MAC, but he was definitely stuck on co-championship in the Big East.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

No it isn't and I'm not saying get behind him. What Tar posted was pretty simple. Even though he's coached in weak conferences, he's won there, which more than most on that list can say.

12. robvols

robvols Member

That is practically the same stuff I read. Those sunshine pumpers on FB and TOOS refuse to listen to us.

13. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

February 28 - March 1 Board of Trustees, Winter Meeting, Chattanooga.

I want them to be questioned publicly and relentlessly about what successes they have presided over and how they measure those successes. Unfortunately for us they have a collective 0.

14. robvols

robvols Member

There needs to be an emergency meeting after the first of the year.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My ONLY hope is that Haslam hires Saban to the Browns.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He took over the Alabama of his conference and couldn't win it again outright. He lost ground. Here he is starting behind, optimistically, 5 or 6 programs.

17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

He also followed Brian Kelly twice, which no one on that list can say.

18. DynaVol

DynaVol Member

Sigh. It's proving so true that you can't fix stupid. lol

I hope it's just the fanbase grasping at any reason to have faith, but these are a lot of the same folks that made excuses for Dooley.

19. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Take a look at this gem on Toos.
    Jones should get 5 years even with no conference wins,here's why
    UT is viewed as a terrible job in the coaching community right now. We have to change the perception that we are disloyal, unreasonable, obnoxious rednecks.Quite frankly we've earned that reputation recently, and it's a perception that will have to change before we have a hope of landing a big name coach. Oh yeah, a decent reserve fund would help project stability as well.

Next post some guy says good points. WTF is wrong with people?

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You're talking just in the East, right?