Butch Jones is a solid hire.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 8, 2012.

1. robvols

robvols Member

He thought everybody is gonna stay. Commence exodus!

2. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

If Tennessee were to get off to a rough start (say like against WKY),the fans will turn quickly into a violent rage. Gruden chants commence.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And that's a problem.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm not advocating support for losses. I'll support the program in general if those idiots are forcibly shown the door. Otherwise, I'm out. My kids will grow up as Black Knights and we'll keep donating and buying season tickets there.

5. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Just curious, but what would you want him to tell the team and the fan base? That this is year zero and we're awful?

Do you want a coach who walks through the door and raises expectations or lowers them?

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Good point.

But I don't care about what he says, either to raise or lower them, so long as he meets and exceeds them, to a championship.

7. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Agreed. And if he's the failure that most expect him to be, the raised expectations expose him to the fan base that much more quickly.

8. CoachCorey

CoachCorey New Member

I respect that. I love a good debate

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You should see some of the debates on non-football stuff. It gets intense, and some guys that I am in total opposiition with on many issues are some of the finest folks and good friends I have ever met. So again, disagreement is not automatically personal. This really is a board for big boys that can defend their positions. Stick around. I assure you that you will not find another place with this much knowledge about most any topic.

10. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Nope I am certainly glad he raised the bar high for next season. He started a game that he won't be able to finish.

11. robvols

robvols Member

And set himself up for an epic failure

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm with you. Removal of that fecal matter will be a necessary step before giving a damn.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I saw it addressed later, but his MAC championships mean shit to me and his Big East "championships" were when he was tied with nearly half the conference. It was garbage and a completely misleading statement for it to be represented as some great accomplishment when he couldn't even be considered the actual champion for the BCS game.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

So, to be clear, winning two championships at lower levels = "not winning a ****ing thing at lower levels"

15. Tar Volon

FWIW, I agree that the Big East co-championships do not count as championships at all. I think a supporter of Jones should use those as evidence of him outperforming expectations, but not of him winning conferences. Being picked 5th (out of seven) and finishing tied for 1st is a good season. But I'm a lot more patient with folks who will make that more modest claim instead of saying "look he won the championship!"

16. Unimane

Are we South Dakota St. or something? Good for him he won a couple of outright titles at lower levels. He did worse at the mid level and will do worse now at the highest level. Perhaps we should hire the coach from Mount Union, as they win the DIII title all the ****ing time, if we're going to be excited over someone beating out Ball State and Western Michigan a few times.

17. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Everyone understands Cincy has shit for facilities and is not on even talent footing with WVU, Louisville, Pitt, and Rutgers. The fact he and Kelly did what they did is fairly solid. And yes I know WVU was in big 12 this year. Cincy also has terrible fan support at games. It is a shit hole.

18. Unimane

Unless the reason is that the coach went 4 and 8 the previous season, making expectations lower. Besides, media prognostications aren't a guarantee of anything.

19. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

ill hold off my judgement on butch till I see which bowl game the vols play next year.

20. Tar Volon

Congratulations, you have defeated a straw man. And didn't answer the question.