POLITICS Carlson on Liberals

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Sep 19, 2018.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How does one experience a lack of self awareness? Getting pretty deep now.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

McConell said he’d (essentially) burn what down, and why? Serious question.

You're moving the goal posts, here, Un.
    Tucker is silent as to whether the GOP is also and equally guilty of the same - but is his claim that liberals have done it, true? We can say that both parties are each and equally willing to “burn it down”, as you assert, but even if you’re right (which I question), you’d still simply be arguing two wrongs.

Congress desperately misses Tip O’Neill.

3. Tenacious D

The GOP owned the Senate. I fail to see how exercising that right is “burning it down”, at all.

That’s not only how it works, but is exactly how we got Obamacare, under Democratic control.

And as the majority leader, he merely followed long-standing Senate protocol that no POTUS in his last year can nominate anyone to SCOTUS...and which is exactly the same precedent that Senate Democrats had originally set, themselves, earlier.

I know that you guys were keenly aware of how sizable the shift would have been for the Court to go from Scalia to Garland...but it’s not like McConnell just invented that policy on his own, or that the GOP was the first to use it.

It’s the same way that Reid utilized the nuclear option of the straight majority vote for Democratic purposes - and which the GOP strongly warned him not to do - and is the same which McConell now uses to beat Dems about the head and neck.

It’s uncanny how obvious it is that anything / everything is ok if the Dems do it, but the GOP is evil for exercising the exact same thing, later, and when liberals don’t like it.

4. Tenacious D

Wait, what?

Go through each of these, please.

What’d the Tea Party do?

Guns?

Birther movement?

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Media laid off Obama. They torch Trump daily whether ahit ia true or not. Carlson was 100% correct. Dont get our way...then burn it down.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

More dumbassery that people who should know better parrot.

In the total years of anyone reading this’s life:

What percentage of Federal judges have been Republican?

What percentage of Presidential years have been Republican?

What percentage of the Supreme Court justifies have been Republican?

[uck fay] off with “losing power,” you have to have it to lose it.

What people are correctly pointing out, that is daily ignored by people who think this clown is wise, is that you’ve had more collective control years than “liberals” and haven’t managed to realize that THAT IS WHAT LANDED US here.

And then, rather than have that realization, you doubled down on a moron, and then complained that it got moronic.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

They didn't own the executive, though, so the full reigns of power is what they were after and what they were willing to burn. What McConnell was many times worse than what is being done now with the accusations against Kavanaugh.

And, what protocol? There was no protocol and it had never been applied previously. I'm sure you will attempt to throw in a magic bullet here with the Biden quote, but that didn't apply the same as McConnell's action, nor was it in any way established protocol. This idea that the Dems did it and so McConnell has every reason to do it is silly nonsense, as if it were like for like.

Besides, this idea that the liberals are burning things down is equally stupid. They are the opposition party. Their job is to represent their ideology (Which, actually, represents a larger portion of the population than the party in power, but I digress) and they've done nothing of the sort in which Carlson is whining. I know you like your autocrats, but it doesn't mean the liberals have to acquiesce at every point.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is it exactly that the Dems should do? Die?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

IP thinks Democrats should withhold their immortality secret from Republicans.

10. Tenacious D

I don’t know the answers to these questions.

But by “here”, do you mean the greatest, wealthiest and most powerful nation as humanity has shown capable of achieving?

Is that what Republican control has produced?

I really like Carlson, agree with a great many things he says, and am willing to allow you to believe that that makes me a moron.

11. Tenacious D

Hmmm...he didn’t do it because no seat came open.

But, here, let him describe it best, in 2007, and everyone can draw their own conclusions as to the sincerity of his intent..both had a seat come open then, and as it relates to the current nomination of Kavanaugh:

I’ll forego any question as to why any member of the Senate would place a political litmus test on any potential SCOTUS jurist, as such is not only beyond their Constitutional mandate, but exceedingly far beyond it.

My position on any Senatorial matters has remained unchanged - that the majority rules, and no matter the issue or who has held it.

I don’t begrudge their opposition, thinking it valuable and necessary to the process (hell, I just gave them high praise for defeating the ObamaCare repeal, just earlier in this thread), but within the law, procedure, precedent and rule - and even where all that fails, then at least somewhere within reason and decency.

And this latest tantrum on Kavanaugh doesn’t meet either of even those foundational requirements.

12. Tenacious D

While looking up material for my response to Un, I happened across this article, and which may prove enlightening, for any interested in reading it.

Here’s the opening:
    Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...25c65c-8067-11e8-b660-4d0f9f0351f1_story.html

13. Tenacious D

This is akin to complaining that Butch Jones sucks. It’s true, but at some point, it’s so self-evident as to need not be said.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, here, as in the political landscape. This country is more than the sum of its political leaders.

I know that is a difficult concept to grasp for some, but that is a continuation of the same problem.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ssmiff makes a lot of good points to you, huh?

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Points that you dont like, since they don't mesh with your bullshit

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like them just fine. Keep them coming.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm going to assume in your excitement to prove me wrong, you didn't realize how the Schumer video was in no way the same as what McConnell did in 2016. First of all, McConnell didn't allow a hearing or vote, stating that the American public should decide in the election. Schumer advocated for not confirming a nominee automatically, i.e. in a vote and nowhere said it should be decided by the people in an election year.

Biden, likewise, never said it should be decided by the people in an election, merely until after the election, which is not necessarily the next administration. Plus, Biden maintained that he would've gone forward with a nomination, just as Strom Thurmond advocated in violation of his own, so-called, "Thurmond Rule" at the time.

There's two elements that make McConnell's action so unique:

1. No hearing, no vote
    2. The electorate chooses the nominee, indirectly, in the next presidential election

There isn't a protocol. None. Never has been until McConnell went for his power play and succeeded. The rest of the talk of precedent is bullshit right machinations of the truth to attempt to justify their blatant usurpation of power. The ballsy part, especially, is this idea that Democrats are the ones playing hard ball unfairly, totally set on flummoxing the poor Republicans just trying to govern. The logic is astounding.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Consistent with crucifying Ohio state for not initially investigating, then mocking their sham investigation... but no time for investigation for a lifetime appointment to the highest court.

20. Tenacious D

Are you reading my posts, today?