Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so i encouraged one of my kids friends who's parents are very good friends with my wife and i to try out for the division higher for him in baseball that my boys are in. i was hoping to get him in a late round. kid just destroyed his tryout. played far over his real talent and now if i want him i'm going to have to draft him high. i got to stop telling people i'll try to draft their kid.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You have two very good options available:

1. Take the kid, have good parents on your sideline, and don't sweat the fact that you might have passed on a better player. It's little league;

2. Draft based on ability, wait a few rounds to take the kid, and if you don't get him, lie and say he went before you could take him.

Nobody remembers where kids were drafted after the first practice, anyway.

droski likes this.
  3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Option 3: Spread bad rumors about the kid and his parents. Pick him up in the last round and profit.

Joseph Brant, CardinalVol and droski like this.
  4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm pretty sure i'm going for #1, but i have a couple of kids of that variety i'm trying to get so overdrafting him might mean i have maybe 2 really good players. that being said i'm thinking #2 and if he gets drafted earlier than he should I can ask for a trade from whoever drafts him. everyone has a couple of kids they want who aren't all stars and generally we have an agreement to honor that. i can only pull that card once without being a [penis] though. the other issue i have is that both my boys had good tryouts (one looked 10X better than he is) and they always overrated the coaches kids anyway.

i'm trying not to be insane though which is not easy for me.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha ha. during tryouts this year there was one kid who was just an absolute mess on my team last year and has a [penis] dad and he comes up and looks pretty good and i just had to stop myself from shitting on the kid. i know no good comes from it, but i almost feel like i'm sandbagging some other coach.

one of my buddies kids i usually take is an absolute space cadet and in that case i feel like i'm doing someone a favor by being like "hey i'll take the kid because i'm friends with the dad, but you might want to know he's a bit out to lunch."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If there's a kid you know is a handful, you let you other immediate coach friends know about it. You let the ones who you don't like get stuck with him.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

good call

8. CardinalVol

So I'm VP of baseball this year and just had a phone call that's making me reevaluate not only if I want to do this, but life itself.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Parent?

No way in hell would I be involved with sports. No way.

You have my utmost respect.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Son that started Lacrosse in march was invited to tryout for a summer team after some winter league games this year and made it. In June we will play in Nooga, at IU and at OSU vs teams from all over the country, which is when we will get whipped, but im excited for him. Sitting back and watching from the bleachers learning the sport has been fun.

11. CardinalVol

98% of the parents are fine. Its the 2% that give you the issues that makes it think it is so much more.

And I've reached the point where I just tell the 2% how it is.

Tenacious D and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Good. They need to hear it. 2% [uck fay]ing it up for the other 98% is a crock.

Good on you.

13. CardinalVol

And while there are few exceptions to it, the 2% all come from the same mold.

Tenacious D likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

peaked in tball at age 5

CardinalVol likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Direct but fair.

Don’t ever give an inch though because once that you do it’s blood in the water.

But you also better not back yourself into a bunch of corners with a ton of rules, if you can’t or won’t enforce them.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Trent Dilfer taking job at Lipscomb in Nashville.

Volst53 likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

Learned that the hard way. Won't do again.

The fun part is when people say "X" is a stupid rule and I want to reply that it's a rule because of people like them.

18. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I saw him at a Rivals camp several years back. He didn’t do anything unless he knew that he was being filmed.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He was prominently featured in Feldman’s book and I got the same impression

RockyHill likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

His daughter committed to play volleyball at Lipscomb U.
    Odd little dynamic there. I have a kid at LU. L Academy kids walk across a parking lot and hang out at the LU student center, chik fil e, etc.
    Not my syle of school. Great indoor HS turf facility for a tiny church of Christ school