Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Boston U is the only place pushing this, and they make it a point to not have discussions with others in the field about it.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

4. CardinalVol

I love that the guy who wrote this is from Boston U as well.

I may have to buy a e-version of this book at the least.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

6. CardinalVol

Yup.

I agree with what they say in this article. I'm not saying that football carries no risk. I'm just saying we don't know, and there could be a lot of other factors involved as well.

7. NorrisAlan

Football already has things in it outside of the possible CTE angle that makes me second guess from time to time my fandom. The sheer damage to the body it does, knees, ankles, back, etc (see Earl Campbell) is horrific. Not a game goes by that you don't see someone blow a knee or ankle.

And the fact that the NFL players take half an hour to even get out of bed in the morning at times. But damn if I don't love watching and cheering on these gladiators.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You going to tell me it doesn't take you a 1/2 hour to get out of bed?

9. NorrisAlan

Nope, one reach around on the wife and she kicks me pretty hard onto the floor.

RockyHill, NYY and kmf600 like this.
  10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

After an undefeated regular season, we won our 9u little league tournament tonight. I can't put into words how much I enjoyed coaching these kids and how well they played.

It's a great age, and I was lucky enough to have a terrific bunch of kids.

CardinalVol, NYY, droski and 3 others like this.
  11. CardinalVol

Just saw this. And yes, there's not much better than a team that just clicks and is enjoyable to coach succeeding.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

somehow got roped into coaching my kids flag football team. i assume i just have them do hand offs and short passes since most of these kids wouldn't have played before.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Man i wish I could assist. Love flag and miss it. Won intramural at UT vs the Lakers and got to play in New Orleans. Played till i was 36 and coached my boys for 15 years. Love it. Love it.
    Misdirection is your best friend.

droski likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Also repeat for you dads that were all football, basketball and baseball, my son is loving lacrosse. First one in my family tree to play. A lot of action, a lot of running and as my son has learned rhe hard way, you better have your head up on a swivel. He got waylayed by a big kid Saturday. I asked him in car if it hurt. He said, "No, but i heard you laugh." I giggled again.

chavisut likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

Find fast kid, get fast kid the ball. Run a reverse and fake reverse. Thats your offense.

droski and Tenacious D like this.
  16. Ssmiff

17. CardinalVol

18. Ssmiff

Great for kids that arent interested, big or skilled enough for the main 3 HS sports. 1000's of kids will now be able to be in a team sport since its going to be funded now and not via club

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That is true at some schools but there are plenty where it is not.

chavisut likes this.
  20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Boojee