Dooley's Going to Get Destroyed by the Media for This Arnett Fiasco...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Dec 29, 2011.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not pretending to know the dynamics of why arnett is leaving. It is irrelevant because the media will make this into a "dooley won't release a kid whose dad is dying" situation. I'm also not saying this proves dooleyvis incompetent; I'm simply pointing out that this is a fight that's totally not worth fighting.

As for him being a "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" deal, I totally disagree. He's in a situation that if he releases arnett, nothing negative happens, and if he does what is currently doing, it can only have negative repercussions.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Two reasons I disagree.

1. This program doesn't need another con on the recruiting trail. This would seem to give a good one to a recuit who is close w his family. Its just an unneeded black eye because there is no way to win.

2. If kpt is right (and I have no reason to believe he isnt't) for the motives, then this is just another symptom of the underlying problem on the hill.

3. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Nobody is going to give a shit about Arnett by the time signing day comes around. The effect on recruiting is being way overhyped.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

My explanation on the motive is mostly speculation, but based on things I have heard the last couple of months about turmoil within the team.

5. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

While I think Dooley obviously lost this team, from what I've been led to believe, Arnett wanted out pretty early.

If he and Chaney would have put in a little more work on the running game, maybe Dooley could have benched Da'Rick early in the season and we'd have kept Baggett and Arnett.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I never discount anything that people can use to try to influence an 18 year old's mind.

Kid owns a trump card. Let him use it and be done with it.

7. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Kid doesn't have any leverage. In regards to recruiting, a situation like this has as much influence as an internet message board.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I imagine practice was pretty uncomfortable watching the main man at your position treat the coach that convinced you to come to Knoxville like horse manure.

9. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

....and that is worthy of all the criticism of Dooley that one can muster. I watched a few games with an old UT receiver. Can't repeat what he had to say about Da'Rick.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

His opinion formed from using his letterman status to attend practice or from watching games?

11. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

The LSU game was especially bad. Didn't care for his work ethic. I don't think he attended many practices.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If this is legit his ship will hit the bottom quicker than I thought.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm from the Bob Huggins school on these issues. "You want to leave? There's the door. Tell us where to send your transcript and good luck. We'll be winning big with or without you. Hope it works out the same for you." End of discussion.

14. hatvol96

Not when the master recruiters UT competes against spin the situation. "You don't want to got to Tennessee. Dooley is obviously going to be fired after next season. He's so desperate, he kept a kid from transferring near his father to look like he's in charge. He's done. By the way, have you seen my championship rings?"

15. hatvol96

I'd be all for Arnett legally attacking the LOI and claiming Dooley engaged in fraud by having Baggett lure him to UT, then firing him. The ulitmate bait and switch. That would be right up some activist judge's alley.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Baggett wasn't really fired and I think Arnett probably understands what went down.

17. hatvol96

Baggett was not welcome to return. His took his check and "retired." That's getting fired.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He wasn't exactly heartbroken to end the working relationship.

19. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I would say after the KY game the "he kept a kid from transferring" doesn't even require a mention.

I'm like you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...go where you want to go.

I have also acknowledged Dooley's complete incompetence. This just doesn't strike me as something that is going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

20. hatvol96

I think it gets some more of the former true believers off the bandwagon. That's never a good thing. When all you can hang your hat on is "doing things the right way," then prove yourself to be a petulant [Penis] with a God complex, it's not good.