Fire Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by juicemane, Sep 17, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep and I sat through 2010 Oregon

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I stayed all game, too. There's a few hours I wish I could have back.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Shouldn't be a question of when has the place cleared out like that before.

The question is when has the place cleared out like that... in a close game.

People leave during blowouts, either way. Sometimes they miss a come back. Most times not.

The game was never in hand yesterday, and people were leaving. For that reason.

4. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

In that regard, I have never seen anything like that in terms of a game that the outcome is still in question.

5. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

That was as mad as i have ever been after a UT game....even the LSU conference tiltle game doesn't touch it.

6. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I thought about that....but I think the opposite. On tv that wasn't even a spring game crowd half way through the third.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

After 2005 South Carolina game I was yelling at the band to quit playing the Tennessee Waltz. Vandy that year was another one that didn't exactly bode well for my placing out of anger management class.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Tornado and all

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

To each his own, but given that we're not firing a guy in year one (and not in year two unless it's some Jon Embree-level terrible), and that it's no fun to watch games with a pitchfork in your pocket and no hope of an actual canning, I actively look for reasons to at least stay on the fence.

With Butch, I think it was clear to most of the fanbase that it wasn't a good hire. Some people stayed hating the hire. Some jumped totally onboard.

For me, I continued hating the hire, but given that the hire was in the past and unchangeable, I decided that Butch could earn my "on the fence" status (as if my status matters in the grand scheme of things, but you know what I mean) if he did these two things in year one: (1) sign a top ten recruiting class, (2) beat somebody he shouldn't beat.

Those happened, and while the Vanderbilt game was horrendous, a horrendous game from a new coach isn't *that* unusual (this is where people trotted out the "Saban lost to ULM" thing). So I stayed on the fence into year two, until the 4th quarter against Florida. After that, I was in the "pretty sure he's never winning anything of significance, but hoping to be proven wrong" camp. I stayed in that camp until last season, which put me into the "100% sure he's never winning anything of significance" camp.

I know there are others who stayed more consistently pessimistic and some who tried to hold onto their optimism longer. I don't really have a problem with either group (now the optimistic people who tried to say that any pessimistic person was stupid or hated Tennessee. . . got a problem with that group), so I'm not saying that my path of pessimism/optimism/neutrality is the one that every UT fan should've taken, but I don't think it was an irrational one.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The 2014 Florida game was pivotal for me too. I went from thinking he sucked to knowing it. And knowing he'd never win anything at all. I left the stadium furious and telling everyone I made eye contact with he should be fired immediately. Even with that, I thought we'd win 10 games last year based on shear talent; although I thought anything less than 11 was underachieving.Just like Dooley, Butch found a way to go under my pessimistic expectations.

11. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Volquest nugget....LMAO

Karl82 said: ↑
    What if we get destroyed next week?

LWS reply.....Still don't see a need to do anything right now.

I don't know what LWS is smoking but he needs to go to rehab.

12. What a joke.

13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I was at that game. Doc Severenson played at halftime.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Man that's just not correct IP. I know you would like for it to be and can post as you wish, but it's not correct. I've never have nor will ever talk about a coach taking us to SEC titles until they do it. That's how I've been. But believe what you want. I never posted anything like that. Saban, Urban, Dabo, Kelly, Stoops, Peterson...are the only guarantees around. That's always been my stance. The rest are hoping for miracles while sitting thru another season.

15. Ssmiff

I try to look at all sides in all situations. At least I'm capable.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Just stop. People here are plenty capable. The guy is an idiot and we’ve known since about day 2. That’s doesn’t mean we didn’t want better. We wanted him to get results far past his pathetic ability, recognizing it would be blind ass luck.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was really excited about his recruiting, then he shat the bed against Oklahoma.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I get the impression he thinks it's coming, he just doesn't think Currie does it in the middle of the season.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This.

Only this asshat would lecture us on just recently seeing something that was obvious to us 4.995 years ago.

He's why schleps like Butch get hired, and hang around for 5 years.

20. Ssmiff

Lecture? I was talking about being capable of unbiased opinion. Your little angry name calling response in regards to posts I've never made sums up my statement perfectly.