Fishing 2017

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 28, 2017.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

This has been my experience too. I would rather hook a 2 or 3 lb smallmouth on my ultralight rig than
    a 5 or 6 lb largemouth on conventional tackle

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Reds are fun

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. I'm good with crappie too and some bluegill but walleye takes the cake.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sauger/saugeye are equally scrumptious.

5. JayVols

Reds remind me a lot of a striper with ADHD. At Hatteras, I've seen guys drag in 80 pounders on the beach. I've never caught one there that big. In fact, I've caught the vast majority of my Reds in the Hog Inlet salt marsh in North Myrtle Beach's Cherry Grove area while jigging mullet minnows on the bottom for flounder.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I know a bunch of people who love to eat them, but no one who fishes for them.

7. Tenacious D

What is spin fishing?

Can you bring an Auburn hat, in case I need to crap?

8. Tenacious D

This guy I know has down-rigging / water planes, etc. I've never used any of it, but he assures me that finding them is the hardest part. Z

9. JayVols

I'm pretty much an exclusive walleye fisherman, at least when it comes to freshwater.

10. Tenacious D

Love catching bluegill, crappie, any panfish. About three years ago, I stared to save the filets from my catch, thinking I'd throw this huge fish fry of just panfish.

I'm still on my same ziploc bag.

It's been three years.

There's more fish in a Captain D's diet dinner, than in my fridge.

This isn't hyperbole.

11. Tenacious D

People say that Norris is great for smallies. The Striper guy I know says that you'll get tired of taking them off the hook while trolling for stripers.

I've fished that lake for a solid 5 years, so he's obviously talking about a different Norris Lake.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Norris is good for small mouth if you can jig fish. Learning to get good at jig fishing will test your religious convictions

13. JayVols

Bluegill are good eating. Don't give up. Fishing is just like anything else, you gotta work at it & learn from everything.

If it makes you feel better, it took me 2 years of trying before I caught my first walleye and becoming known as The Marble-Eye Marauder around these parts. I fly a Jolly Roger from my anchor light plug-in on my little 16ft Bass Tracker. That's where the marauder part came from.

Plus, I know all the game wardens. If they see my flag, they know who it is & don't bother me unless they want a fishing report.

Also, when you freeze your fish, fill up the bag completely with water. Leave no air bubbles. If your filets are encased in ice, they keep longer & won't freezer burn.

14. JayVols

If I'm going to Norris (I usually put in at the Grainger Co boat ramp when I do), I'm trolling for wallies.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm generally on the Campbell and Claiborne side

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Open-faced reel, spinning reel, same thing. And I lost my only Auburn hat recently. I'd had it since high school and it had seen plenty of road. Apparently they don't make it anymore which makes me more sad than it probably should.

17. chef66

chef66 New Member

I've been deep sea fishing in the Atlantic and Gulf, but my fondest fishing memories involve creeks, light tackle, crickets, panfish, redeye, and the occasional unforgettable smallmouth duel.

18. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I prefer wading to fishing out of a boat, it's just a more enjoyable experience for me.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I agree that small creeks and river fishing is the best.

20. Tenacious D

How far is Garden City from there? Last I recall, the area had both fresh and saltwater, but I only tried salt. I'd like to try fishing off the bank at night, but can never get my bait out far enough.

And I'm not about to have my fat ass covered in bait, padding out in a bait-soaked kayak, trying to navigate into the surf to drop it off like those crazy-assed hardcore beach fishermen.

I think I saw a video of a guy using PVC pipe and compressed air to launch his bait out there, but I'd just as soon not blow myself up that way, either.