History as Patriotism

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sweet Jesus, it explicitly states the type of opinion that is to be held, i.e. it's supposed to be "patriotic" and not condoning "social disorder". It, point blank, tells them that's what to think and "interpret". If I didn't already know how hard this stuff is for you to comprehend, then I might be astonished at the complete and utter disregard for the English language.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why do you think people find this necessary?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

droski shouldn't even bother posting in the thread. He has his own version of his reality that is independent to what is happening in CO, or what the curriculum is. He thinks teachers brainwash kids into libtards. We get it. Just ignore it.

4. Unimane

I know, you are too deep in your white victimization complex to bother. I know I find the "Kill ******" line on my profile, but it does reflect the pattern here that a number of people, including you, have taken my views on the topic way beyond what I've said and, then, come to think that I actually said them. So, like I said, it's easier to create a caricature than to bother to read.

Hell, I bet you still believe that I use my classes to promote "social justice".

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

So Beka is taking over?

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not in the south, they don't. There are more than enough Bible thumping right-wing teachers to counter balance any left wing communists.

7. Unimane

Wait, how is "whit-y" blocked off in my response, but not in my profile?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I know dozens of teachers. And yes they regularly include their personal beliefs in their teachings.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. We cannot help it. That said, the curriculum should promote facts, all the facts, of a historical period. Removing civil dissent and promoting civil obedience is completely insulting to me and should be mocked and derided as much as possible. America was built on civil disobedience and outright rebellion.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not talking about white victimization. I'm talking about garbage like teaching income inequality was a cause of the great depression. Or bush should be in jail. or Europeans are smarter and more civilized than americans. all the type of garbage I hear my teacher friends saying all the time without even the slightly understanding that they are biased. As for your profile. I had nothing to do with it.

If they aren't they aren't ethnic studies classes. the leading college departments in this country are promoting social justice. it says it right on their department websites.

11. Unimane

Because they are idiots who frown on critical thinking and fear any sort of suggestion that this country isn't the greatest, most perfect creation that has ever existed in man, except that it's fragile enough that it shouldn't be required to be held to some kind of scrutiny. Those with a brain realize there are some serious flaws that don't take away from it being a great country, nor one weak enough that it can't bear a little honest evaluation.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

unfortunately that's not most of the country.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't have to tell me. If anything, I was brainwashed conservative until I left high school.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it's a bad thing to promote patriotism at the expense of social disorder? or to at least prefer one over the other?

surely you aren't serious? surely you don't think that any approach is advocating absolutism?

15. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I wonder how many proponents of these changes also consider Edward Snowden a patriot.

16. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

For the most part I was too.

The exception being I was in private school k-12.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

where does this exist?

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why do you feel like it's your job to give what you call an "honest evaluation?" why not lay the facts on the table and let the students decide themselves? you are freely admitting you think it's your role to "enlighten" students to your point of view.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whoever put it there should be banned, according to Tenny's explicit rules he stated in regard to any racial terms.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Most of East Tennessee, outside of Knoxville.