History as Patriotism

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It depends on how you do it. It really isn't that hard to not sit up there and dictate to your students your beliefs, nor that challenging to present material to foster debate on a subject. The "facts" are pretty simple to convey, especially at the high school level. What you are concerned about is interpretation, which is where shitty teachers get tripped up in their own hubris of telling their kids what's what.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Facts are up to interpretation in virtually every subject taught sans math

3. Unimane

How many facts are really up for debate in history?

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I blew seven loads when I read about the south.NoContext, [ex...num ]

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Brainwashed? Must be dumb.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I doubt you spend your time drilling dates and times like a history teacher from 60 years ago.

I'll give you some examples:

What caused the civil war?
    What caused the Great Depression?
    What got us out of the Great Depression?
    Did we need to drop the bomb on Japan?
    Manifest destiny
    The conquering of Native American tribes and reservations
    What caused the Spanish American war?
    What caused the revolutionary war?

All of these things are subject to political interpretations.

Back to my economics example:

I'd argue it's a fact that tax cuts are a far more effective stimulus than govt spending as shown by 95 percent of studies done on this subject. Now a Bay Area kid goes home to mommy and daddy and says the teacher said that essentially bush's economic policies are superior to Obama's and what do you think the reaction is?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You mean like young ip? I find it funny that you feel you were influenced by your conservative teachers, yet deny the same thing happens to the other 90 percent of the population taught by liberals.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Almost exactly identical.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Oops. That was my problem with his points. Didn't like that at all. Guess he did grow a thinking gene late. Funny as hell.

Then acts like teachers and professors as a group are divided about equally in opinion.

Given that they aren't close, wonder why professors skew hard hard left in such large numbers?

10. Unimane

Those are all interpretations, like I said, and you even explicitly state in your post. This isn't a difficult concept.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Teachers and historians avoid interpretation? Crazy talk.

12. Unimane

Uh, no, but it's designed to foster debate on the meaning of the facts. Again, this isn't a hard concept.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Fostering debate in your made appears to be anti-patriot, which isn't remotely about fostering debate. I think that's where droski's going here.

Pretending any preconception is problematic when the current approach littered with them and any other approach will be as well.

14. Unimane

I'll definitely say the professors skew left. I'll also say that the lack of conservatives in academia is likely due to their utter disdain for it. How many times have I heard you and other conservatives shit all over the "Ivory Tower" and those who "teach, rather than do"? You can't [itch bay] about the lack of representation in the field if you show such disregard for it..

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You think I have disdain for education?

The ivory tower that presumes itself more knowledgeable is the part that makes it a cesspool of idiocy. It's the view that has made academia today a craphole of groupthink. The insular nature of it is almost funny.

And again, my wife is an exceptionally good educator and reasonably conservative. Her unionized friends in this area are so knee jerk Union and left they're damn near worthless as teachers and humans. Entitlement mentality just amazes me. All it has done is reinforce what I see around me. I actually like that they can't stand my view that they are completely destroying education and doing a disservice to kids.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  16. Unimane

Bullshit. That's a false logical conclusion that you've made up because I said creating little patriotic drones is the desired result of education is bunk. It has nothing to do with patriotism, you created that stupid ass straw man on your own. I argued that the job is to foster thinking and an intelligent examination of topics, which, if I'm to use your sense of logic, means that you are not in favor of people using their brain to make their own determinations and think freely.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Your first assertion was stupid. If drones are being created, why does anyone leave your classroom capable of contributing when your pushing them to do nothing but detract?

You and IP keep on with the brainwashing silliness. It's the heart of the stupid liberal argument that only lefty academia can think for the world and everyone else needs to be thought for. Hideous.

18. Unimane

Not as funny as conservatives pissing and moaning about not being a part of something they don't even want to be a part of.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

How is anyone not being a part? Somebody has to pay the damned bills so you can teach people to take.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, you posting about "not fostering debate" by not washing all disobedience and unpleasantness from US history is pretty damning. Go ahead, keep calling it all stupid.