History as Patriotism

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Oct 3, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting. So you agree that some institutions are far more skewed than others. And the average is 11 % according to your link. Does that not suggest that if in your estimation a place like Cal has .001 % conservatives, and the average is 11%, that perhaps a place like the University of Tennessee has more than 11 %? Perhaps a lot more? I'd say 40 % myself, but I only went there for two degrees and took classes in probably a dozen departments.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you read the article I posted you will see that the highest percentage of conservative professors are at private religious non catholic institutions which btw is still only 23%. public universities are at 9%. so no, I wouldn't expect tenn to be anywhere close to 40%.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right. I'll just ignore my personal experience. You set the example on that so often.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

other people here have gone to college at tenn. let's see if they agree with you. I'd think it'd be a little more than strange if it was twice the level of religious colleges and 4 times the level of public. but hey I'm sure you can read the political leanings of your teachers like a book,.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I can't really confirm or deny. I got my degree from the college of agriculture, which I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a subculture within UT.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

As I apologize for bringing facts into so many other conversations. Let's see what folks who went to Tenn say.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I imagine I can, just like you can know Uni's lesson plans and teaching style just by meeting him on a message board.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Student Polls

How would you best describe your personal political beliefs? Based on 113 responses

• 7% Progressive/very liberal
    • 16% Liberal
    • 34% Moderate
    • 20% Conservative
    • 4% Very conservative
    • 4% Libertarian
    15% Not sure

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's been pretty damn clear the type of bullshit he teaches his students. I don't have to interpret.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Poor persecuted conservatives. How do they go on?

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, and you haven't gotten it right once. You prefer your bullshit theories instead. Literally nothing of what you say about how I do things is true. Let me repeat, NOT A ****ING WORD. I offer and offer to show you what I actually do and you still cling to your links to random California colleges.

Just for the sake of amusement, what do you actually think I teach the kids? I have a pretty good idea what you think, but humor me.

13. Unimane

Clearly, I default to the ability of people to make their own determinations without enforcing a phony sense of patriotism, which is really nationalism, in this sense. Clearly, though, you favor an Orwellian enforcement of behavior over free thinking, if we are going string together logical fallacies in this discussion.

14. Unimane

What a bunch of nonsense. It's not teaching from a perspective if that's the required objective of the curriculum. You are blinded by your foolish righty beliefs to distinguish the difference.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I just saw this and feel I need to clarify. Low wages resulting in the inability to purchase goods leading to goods stacking up which led to a severe downturn in the economy is what I teach. I don't teach, never will teach nor do I believe that it's the govt's job to redistribute anything. I go above and beyond to remove any biases that I may have. It's not my job to produce robots that recites any dogma upon command. It's my job to present information and help my students analyze that information, so they can make an educated decision on what THEY think. I never have and refuse to ever attempt to shackle my students to any one view. The world is too complex for that, and I would be doing the students a major disservice if I taught them that everything is simple. I don't want robots. I want to help produce young men and women that can think for themselves.

The "Teacher Agenda" is a cop out bordering on a cry of victimization based on gross generalizations. We know. Your wife is a teacher. That too is a straw man justification for the preconceived notions that fit your views

Dros, I have no doubt that if I ever get to meet you in person that we would be genuine friends. I mean that. But you're seeing what you want to see, and honestly and with sincere respect, the teacher bashing shit is old. I'm not going to be a participant in that in any form. I've said all I'm going to say here. I have no desire to be dragged into another back and forth over the same issues these things always devolve into when discussing these matters.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You said income inequality. I can search for it if you like.

It's no cop out. The teaching profession is filled with flaming liberals. It's ratjer naive to think they don't insert their political opinions either consciously or subconsciously. I've experiended it at every level I took classes from k-12 to collegr and my wife has experienced it from talking to other teachers in the breakroom, seeing their curriculum, and hearing what the students say what they say.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Generally they keep their mouths shut because most of us have been brainwashed that their teachers are always right.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Btw I guess it's a coincidence that the 3 most liberal people on this site are currently employed as teachers?

Btw jay. I like you too. I consider you a friend. That doesn't make either of us perfect.

19. Unimane

For what it's worth, I'm fine with you, too. I only resent the implications, or outright statement, that I am actively trying to propagandize students with my beliefs and not professional enough to separate my own politics with the requirements of my profession.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm sure if I taught a class on economics that many things I said that i felt were fact and not opinion you would find political opinions.