History as Patriotism

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Oct 3, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and the school did that? then you simply weren't very bright. now I understand that your brainwashed liberalism has been force fed too. Interesting that any teachers and their approach would have that much impact on someone so loudly espousing the scientific approach to life.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Norris Elementary for one.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Literally, none of that has been stated in any of my classes and I don't teach at those schools. I've offered to show you my syllabus, previously, but you seem to think what's said on a website for UC-Davis has more relevance in my class.

Teachers offering opinions on topics in class isn't bad, either. It is a matter of how it's presented. The job of the teacher is to promote as much critical thinking as possible and dictating beliefs upon a student doesn't work, but challenging a student's thought with your own often can. And, for the record, I've had as many conservative opinions dictated to me in my social studies classes as I have liberal ideas and that includes college.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

only the loony liberal lot can think critically? conservatism is fear of recognizing this country's issues? where do you get the absurdity?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

haven't seen much of that and my wife's a teacher. Has been so in TX, VA, TN and Arky.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

if that's the job of the teacher, why do you care the approach?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was told factually wrong information by people in positions of trust and power. Lo and behold, when I had access to reference material and other information it became clear they were full of shit. Spin it however you wish, insult my intelligence if you wish. I guess all these kids are just so dumb.

8. Unimane

What does that have to do with teaching critical thinking? Isn't the basis for much of our "patriotism" social disorder anyway?

If I am forced to make a person, or, at least, influence it, how much of a farce is their supposed loyalty and fealty to the country anyway? Those are things that need to come to them personally, anyway, to have any weight whatsoever.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

When are you going to take a stance on the OP? So far all you have done is question and ridicule subsequent posts. Care to put some skin in the game?

10. Unimane

Who said it was only conservatives? I certainly never said so. I'm merely referencing the idea that people feel the need to inculcate students with their own beliefs as idiots. Hell, in my first post I stated "Any history class that eschews dialogue for dogmatism is a shitty class, anyway."

11. Unimane

The "approach" here isn't a matter of presentation, it's a matter of creating a bottom line fact and discarding with the concept of discussion or thinking. Or, at best, discussion or thinking only after creating the end Truth.

12. Unimane

I still prefer Tenny's original suggestion of "Asshat".

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this wasn't an insult to your intelligence. You clearly said you weren't very discerning.

You're acting like like your college professors somehow mask their subjectivity and tell the truth and your HS kept you away from reference material. How else should I take it. Your HS gullibility just went away? You grew a critical thinking gene?

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

who said there's a bottom line fact? How is patriotism a bottom line fact? How is the opinion that nation over civil unrest is a good thing somehow a fact? Clearly you default to the opposite. Is your view the factual or critical thinking one? That's funny.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is silly as hell. They're advocating teaching from the perspective of advocating patriotism. The left has destroyed college education to the point of being unrecognizable and you aren't bemoaning their clear and ridiculously left teaching approach. Why not? There are hordes of college professors that couldn't give any crap at all about truth, reality or creating thinkers if it means abandoning the silly left view of everything.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I had as many conservative humanities and social science instructors/professors as liberal. This pervasive idea that conservatives do not exist in academia is strange. While it is more skewed liberal, there are still conservatives. And all they do is [itch bay].

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you say so. I haven't seen anything of the kind. This seems like "sky is falling" conservative hype to me, what with the "hordes" and "destroyed" and "ridiculously left."

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this says 11% identify themselves as conservative. 62% far left or liberal. that's more than 5 times the number. yeah it's all a myth

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ssors-already-liberal-have-moved-further-left

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, so you found evidence that completely corroborates my post. Thank you.

How do you suppose institutions like, say, Cal or Harvard compare to, I don't know, the University of Tennessee? In your opinion.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd call that a token number of conservatives.

If cal has more than 2 or 3 total conservative professors, I'd be shocked.