Hollywood's House of Cards.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Oct 30, 2017.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Casting couch syndrome

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I can't watch it now. I think about the scenes where he's making out with men and think of him doing that with a child. Or trying to force worse.

Hollywood is about to burn.

Corey Feldman is probably trying to wait the best offer out to spill the beans but he's playing a dangerous game.

I'm not shocked at the Kevin Spacey news, I suspect there will be a few shockers on the horizon however.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Who knows what will happen with Hollywood, but Fox News didn't necessarily burn with their multitude of sex abuse cases, nor, really, has the Catholic Church. I think the lesson is beware of those in power who feel they have no one to hold them accountable. Guys like Weinstein, Ailes, etc. are predators who asserted their considerable heft to make sure they could either succeed in feeding their desire or destroy those who resist them.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Name one prominent member of the Catholic Church other than the Pope. Fox News, sheesh.

It's a world of celebrity we live in, look at the POTUS.

More stories will come and more stars will fall.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Burn it to the ground.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Chaparral and Chinook winds are trying as hard as they can

7. Unimane

Actually, I find the Catholic Church and Fox News scandals to be quite apropos.

Like the Catholic Church sex scandal, you have hordes of young impressionable people being preyed upon by those they trust and revere and for which society/their industry had given their abusers distinct elevated status. The Catholic Church, though, is a way more influential institutional.

Fox News fits because Roger Ailes is the most closely aligned case to Harvey Weinstein, a megalomaniac with enormous power within their industry, using that power to abuse others while vindictively destroying those who don't accede to his advances.

The lesson in both Fox News and the Catholic Church case is that people will still partake or consume their product if they want what they are offering, especially with Hollywood being more of an shapeless, amorphous concept than the other two examples. So, I fully expect this to sweep aside a number of producers, directors, actors, etc. in Hollywood, but for people to still like watching movies and business will go on as usual once the next stupid ass superhero movie comes out. It just won't star Kevin Spacey.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is really all there is to it.

Look how many runaways there are that head to LA and NY, searching for their fortune and thinking fame will bring them happiness. No. Thanks.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I wish Hollywood were as interested in fresh ideas as they are in fresh people.

Hey, let's remake Spider-Man again!

10. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Let me try a different tact/question, what is it about power that drives people to be pedophiles?

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think generally it's insecure people that find themselves in a position of power that generally go Pedo.

12. NorrisAlan

I don't think it drives them to being pedophiles. I think if you have that predilection already, you will use your power to do that. But look at Weinstein. I don't think he was into pedo (at least not that I know of, but I don't read up on that junk much), but he preyed on those that wanted parts and abused his power.

But the old adage "power corrupts" is true. If you don't have someone or something to keep you grounded, especially in Make Believe Land like Hollywood, I could see you getting sucked into some seedy shit.

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

LOL...I am going to be a little nuanced here...who hasnt tried to steal a kiss or made a move on a girl? Sexual assault or rape are far more than trying to steal a kiss or making a move. There is too broad a net here IMHO.

From what I read, Spacey stopped short of actual action. That the boy was 14 is the issue.

Now as far as Hollyweird, all I can do is smile and watch as liberals get hung on their own petard. Then there is ESPN and the NFL. The left has created the environment which is burning down their own little castles in their own little snowflake globe.

Liberals, leftist and libertarians will eventually learn that promoting licentiousness will eventually catch up with you.

schadenfruede :)

“Human passions unbridled by morality and religion…would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net.”
    – John Adams

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Roger Ailes.
    Donald Trump.
    Bill O’Reilly
    Shut the [uck fay] up.

15. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

LOL

Trump is prez. ( I didn't vote for him :))
    I never like O'Reilly he is a populist not a conservative.
    Ailes well what did anyone really know about him. He was always behind the curtain.

But the snares laid for these men have also caught many big fish on the left and hence my post. And its the left that has set the modern rules of behavior. Rules that probably have more to do with who you are than what you do.

Alinsky: Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.

The thing is that the left has to live by them too and this is where the left has found out it cant have its ice cream and eat its cake too.

16. Unimane

The story of powerful men abusing women/young people/subordinates and trying to get sexual favors from them is as old as time. It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative attitudes, nor any sort of "licentiousness" or modern rules of behavior. What nonsense.

And, actually, I think "modern rules of behavior" are much less accepting of these sorts of affairs, which were more likely to have been swept under the rug in previous generations.

A-Smith, Tenacious D, gcbvol and 2 others like this.
  17. NorrisAlan

Nero would take his guests' wives back to a room and have sex with them during dinner then come back and give torrid details about his exploits.

I am sure they loved it, too.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was acceptable in ancient Greek society. It was probably not uncommon throughout the ancient world. It is still accepted in parts of western Asia by people who hold religions that reject it.

Pedophilia is a darkness that only in recent centuries has been confronted as wrong.

A-Smith likes this.
  19. Unimane

Actually, I think that was Caligula, but Nero was no angel, either. Roman emperors and slave owners were off the hook with their debasement.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is that impolite? If so, I have some apology letters to write.