How Trump Proposes to Pay for THE WALL

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They are allowed to use cell phones during class?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What, then, do you attribute as the cause of our falling behind dozens of countries in the decades before such a high prevalence of standardized testing?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They send their all stars from the entire country, we send regional champs.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, but it's a battle like you wouldn't believe. Every time you turn your head, each time I talk to one student, sit at my desk for two minutes to look something up, etc., etc., the kids are trying to sneak a peak. Literally, think of a drug addict and how they will do almost anything to get their fix. It's almost the same thing. Our school, in all its brilliance, decided to allow cell phones between classes, but not during class. So, I do collect phones, but it's like handing out speeding tickets.

5. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Just quantifying it from a percentage standpoint as almost half their time. I know several teachers and each say around that number in conversations.

6. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

When we stop worrying about the rest of the world's educational preferences, and start worrying about how to effectively fix our own, only then will we start to climb. That being said, trying to measure one's quantifiable intelligence by standardized testing alone is a futile and irrational way for thinking. Other countries drill intelligence into their kids brains at a very young age, and while they may take to it, they also suffer from social anxieties and terrible people skills as well. I believe you have to find a good mix and happy median of not only teaching book skills, but social and life skills. We don't teach enough social and life skills early on, and most struggle to figure those out well outside of their school years. I also believe that the school day needs to start later and end earlier, mainly because a lot of kids turn it off after a certain amount of time in school. It's like work, most people are driven during the day for about 4-6 hours, and the rest of the time they are wondering what they will do after work or for lunch. We have to find the right balance of time for kids learning, especially for the drier more involved subjects that are harder to teach, because we are teaching them to not pay attention after a short amount of time, just like the workplace does to a lot of us. Some of the students aren't even interested in the subject at hand, and until teachers are given ultimate authority in their classrooms on how to teach, they will continue to be uninterested.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agreed. Reliance on Google as the answer palace is causing similar harm. Current college grads astound me with their inability to think.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hopefully he will lead the way in bringing all of his clothing line back to the good ol u s of a then. Maybe urge Ivanka to do the same.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My wife complains primarily about the laptops that are supposed to being used to take notes. Frankly with that distraction I'm not sure I would have been a good student

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Marla maples IMO

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My smartphone has become a real distraction for me. Seriously. I am trying very hard to wean myself off of constantly looking at it for no reason.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's a very real problem. It's becoming more difficult to find people capable of fairly simple thinking exercises. I love technology but we've allowed it to be a double-edged sword.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Same. It's such an easy outlet for procrastination when studying.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I'd get fired the first day.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You played yourself, HRC. You played yourself.

[​IMG]

16. NorrisAlan

Hahah.

This is what I mean about modern social media may destroy the two party system.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Bet you a lunch at your favorite eatery the media will not pick up on this, and HRC if asked will have some answer the media will play up while downplaying the significance .

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

She wants to play the Sanders game, but she doesn't seem to realize she is exactly the sort of problem he is talking about.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You would think she would have better sense

20. NorrisAlan

"Ms. Clinton, when you enter into the warroom at the White House, exactly how much money did you make in cattle futures again?"