I hate Lyle Jones.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JayVols, Feb 6, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I imagine that in his mind, that this is assumed by all, or better, that his way is the best and thus anybody that he brings in to run it is the best. All people at that level have this kind of arrogance, imho. You just have to know when and how to temper it and be willing to admit that maybe, just maybe, you are wrong (like Bryant did when he went to the wishbone).

2. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yep. All the more reason Jones (or anyone in a high-profile position) needs to be vigilant and practice due diligence.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I wouldn't call it arrogance if he truly believes (and expects others to believe it too) that this is the BSIA. It's something else entirely.

If last year's staff was the BSIA, can he no longer claim that we have the BSIA now that Bajakian is gone? If this year's staff is truly the BSIA, then he was lying to us last year?

It's rah-rah for the sake of rah-rah. I'm ready for him to shut up and start effectively coaching. He's assembled the talent. Now go coach 'em up. Winners never have to run their mouth. They just simply point to the scoreboard. Win and others will talk for them.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't hate the guy. I can even commit his commitment to HIS system because that's often what it takes. Excellence, however, also takes a sophisticated view of ones weaknesses and an open willingness to acknowledge and address same. Ostriches don't make winners.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

him taking complete ownership of the abortion that was our offense for the first half of last year is not in any way helpful to his case, IMO.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed.

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Ownership is his by default.

We'll see soon enough w/ be bored / debord if the heaping piles of sh*te we dumped on that poor b*st*rd Bajakian was warranted or if he was Jones' scapegoat

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

when Jones flat out stated that the OC hire was immaterial because he runs the offense, he left no doubt that he's chief knucklehead in our offense. At least there was some shred of doubt prior.

9. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes, but execution was "supposedly" left to MB. If again we see poor execution under be bored then that excuse card already has been punched leaving Jones exposed like the emperor in his new clothes

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

execution wasn't the problem with starting a statue but still trying that silly read no-option.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Agree. Worley wasn't the most mobile QB and he (as did Peterman) struggled w/ the read option. Their failure is due to poor execution. As was what our o-line attempted in pretty all phases

Surely Dobbs' (Aerospace Eng Major) intellect bodes well

12. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'm with others in that I don't hate him, but he has no excuses moving forward. If the shenanigans were needed to get the players in here and motivate the current ones I'm fine with that, but as I said, no more excuses. Time to start winning on a level we haven't been on in several years. This year should bridge the gap, and as hat said in his thread, if he's not in Atlanta in '16 then get out.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't dislike him. He busts his ass off everyday to make Tennessee better. His work ethic is great, no complaints there. However, I don't think his best is good enough to be a championship caliber coach in the SEC until he gets over his talks of system and fits.

Hire the best coaches available, let them work and you go be the face of the program. Until he does that, he's going to get in his own way.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I despise [ddiapos] because he did nothing but draw a check, especially his last season here. He managed to not only miss on in state targets, he didn't drive 3 hours up I-40 or the hour and half down 75 to recruit the guys. He didn't even make an attempt.

15. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I think what irks me about Butch is his ego. Little man syndrome, he hasn't done jack at UT outside of recruiting, and he wants the fans to "trust him". All that caretaker of UT fball talk is such garbage

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Win Oct 10 and by all accounts we should be in ATL this yr.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Neither do I. No one is upset over his work ethic. It's more his decision making on and off the field. I've said all along if only he could coach as well as he recruits.

Jones has had a previous (working) relationship w/ every coach sans Gillespie (who was recommended by Jones' WVU connections) and TT who Jancek vouched for. He hires those he's comfortable w/ those he knows will not challenge his authority or system. He needs to overcome this, step outside his comfort zone.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't hate the guy, but if they're not at least in the conversation come late November this year, I'll have some pretty strong negative feelings. I had plenty last year. I don't like labels...

Short of injury to a key contributor, there's no reason an above average coach should fail to compete for the East this year.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He also thinks that is impressive enough to try and land the Michigan job.

20. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

This is the main reason Butch will never even get close to the level of dislike of Dooley with me. Unless of course he results to this but I don't see him doing that.

You're right, Butch works his tail off. He may not be a great coach, but I can at least admire his work ethic, whether he's corny or not.

Couldn't admire much of anything about precious.