I hate Lyle Jones.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JayVols, Feb 6, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But those pants...er, britches!

[​IMG]

2. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Until we actually start winning meaningful shit, all we know for sure is that we've got a recruiting coordinator as a head coach.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Precise and succinct; I like it.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agree completely.

5. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I think he dumped Bajay. In all likelihood he probably couldn't afford a 750,000 guy and throw Gillespie and Azzani a bone too. I'm not a fan of the offensive system, but to this point, it has long looked nothing like what he rolled out at Cinci. If you really hate Lyle, you are severely underestimating the work he has done.

6. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Beats the crap out of the last guy.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

How so?

8. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I simply don't buy into the "we couldn't afford _______" line of thinking, with the SEC Network contract money, positional coaches salaries are going to increase across the board, likely more than HC's. Perhaps, however, you're right about shelling out upwards of a million on an OC and keeping Azzani and Gillespie in the fold...we'll never know.

The hire sucks, point blank, but it's going to come to a point where the strides Butch has taken off the field begins to translate on the field and when that happens, regardless of who the OC is, excuses be damned, this team needs to win.

I honestly think we will...

I might not like his system nor be the biggest Butch Jones fan but he's not a bad coach. He's had his bumps and bruises and the Florida game, the decision to start Worley over Dobbs, and the loss to Franklin and VU will forever be dark blots on his tenure here, regardless of how long or short that may be.

If we win 9 games this year, I'll be a fan. More than that...Jay...will you change your mind?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  9. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I really think money is still an issue. Of course...that doesn't make it a fact. I won't judge the hire until I see the offense in the fall.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Dismissing the recruiting and the culture change turns the argument into nothing more than an arbitrary rant. Can't hate a guy for working his ass off.

11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I prefer to think of it as reverting the culture rather than changing it.

The recruiting has been phenomenal. Best back to back classes since Rivals started keeping track. That's where the compliments end.

Can you hate a guy for sucking at half the responsibilities of his job? That's not to say I hate him. I don't necessarily like him, but I don't hate him. Yet, at least.

12. OrangeBlood79

Face value, the hire sucks. Of course...that doesn't make it fact.

Well said.

13. OrangeBlood79

We just won our first bowl game, rather convincingly, since 2007. To say that "sucked" is a bit...odd.

Last year's team could have done more with Dobbs at the helm, no doubt.
    The BSIA line is just an indication of just how much "coach speak" he regurgitates on a daily basis.
    This OC hire falls well short of where we all thought it should have been.
    We lost to Florida three years in a row (two with Jones), our 10th time overall in a row, with arguably their worst HC in three decades.
    Bajakian's playcalling was atrocious, and therefore a reflection upon Jones himself.

I agree with everyone of these and don't really rebut the overall notion that he could being doing much better...

I'm not so much defending the guy as I am defending that the last two years have "sucked." Last year was a roller coaster but can anyone really argue that this team is on an uptick?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't hate him. I can't stand the excuse making, "I got this", defense of atrocious game coaching, platitudes, salesy, cliches, "best staff in America" fantasy and losing winnable games based upon poor coaching.

I really like the recruiting.

15. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

The guy that cost the Fla game was shown the door. Coach speak is tiresome without a doubt.

16. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Lol at the press conference this morning Butch said, we don't run a spread offense, I don't know where everyone gets that. 5 minutes later Debord gets up and starts talking about the spread offense, specifically calling it the spread offense about at least 3 times and he said that's what we do here.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Butch clearly owns this offense and no doubt owns the QB decision that destroyed the offense for 6 weeks.

18. OrangeBlood79

It's a spread, no matter which way Butch slices it.

The fact that he takes issue with that is a microcosm of his overall sense of control on all things related to the program. Same thing goes with the "we don't have depth charts" bullshit.

Yes you do, otherwise the whole f'ing team is going to take the field.

Coach speak, right there, front and center.

19. OrangeBlood79

Word.

20. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Reminds me of Dooley