I hate Lyle Jones.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JayVols, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep. The OC hire cemented that. If it doesn't work there is no one else to point the finger at now.

Im not a fan of the idea of holding your best cards for another year, or to get an extra year. Even with the luck (if you want to call it that) of Worley going down this team was a meltdown/miracle away from going 5-7 again and the mood being even different.

His future will be nailed down over the next 2 years and I think his cards were played based off that idea. Right or wrong.

2. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Nothing he does reminds me of Dooley. Honestly. Butch puts in the time. I get the sense that he sincerely cares about the product on the field and everything he does goes to the betterment of that, even if I take issue with some of the actions he takes to achieve that.

Dooley kicked his feet up and collected a paycheck. His last game, at Vanderbilt, is an unforgivable disgrace to the coaching world...that, and the fact that he coached on the sidelines with a f**king stool.

F**K that guy. DDIAPS.

3. Beechervol

Im here.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

agreed. He isn't Dooley level trash. He does work at it and he pours himself into it. He still has a self preservation and salesy mode that makes me wanna hurl.

5. OrangeBlood79

I hold that against him less and less these days. I still don't like it but...it's not like there isnt' a list a mile long of coaches who do the exact same thing. There's a fine line between tempering expectations and not holding oneself accountable.

While it could be (successfully) argued that Butch's unwillingness to admit that the playcalling, especially in the redzone, fell well short of excellence is an indication of excuse making; I tend to think it's more of an indication of his wholehearted belief in his system.

Neither are flattering character traits, however.

6. Beechervol

That will run its course if his effort does not start producing substantial results. Im not a fan of gimmicks but don't care for that reason.

7. _Crew_

_Crew_ Contributor

Creeping optimism.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have always given him his props for recruiting. However, they guy has sucked as a game-day coach to this point. It's not arbitrary at all. Working hard is great, but you eventually need to win something that matters.

If he wins 10 National Championships, his rah-rah crap will still make me cringe. I'm just not wired that way.

9. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

My hope for Debord is that he's the anti-Bajakian.

10. JayVols

Herpes beats the crap out of AIDS.

I don't want either.

11. OrangeBlood79

So...you don't "WOO!" during the singing of Rocky Top? Is that what you're saying??

12. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

but if you had to choose one...

13. JayVols

You've figured me out.

14. JayVols

I don't have to do anything except remain a Melungeon and die.

:)

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes.

Butch may fail, but it won't be because he doesn't give a shit. His "caretaker of Tennessee football" spiel puts him in the cross hairs. I don't mind him saying it, because it's true, if we like it or not. Butch feels responsible for it.

Dooley just wanted a paycheck

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I don't think money was an issue. Did you happen to see this 2014 NCAAF Asst Salaries? Napier $325K. Sanford $305K. Crumbie $250K or $275K. Littrell $250K. Plenty of talent for far less than $750K or the $480K paid Bajakian and Jancek. He had debord in mind from the get go. imo

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If he wins 10 national championships, heck if he was to win one in the next 3years, I could give less than a crap what he does.

18. JayVols

I wouldn't run him off, but I'd still hate the rah-rah stuff.

I'm not a fan of running your mouth as a coach.

19. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

In the sense of publicly running down the opponent, sure. Don't really care about anything else as long as he wins football games.

20. JayVols

Let me clarify:

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. That's what I hate along with the excuse for everything. The rah-rah- for the sake of rah-rah isn't appealing to me either.

Shut up and coach.