I keep hearing... (Yet Another Race Discussion)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Sep 25, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think you are confusing rights with opportunities. But very often when someone says "equal rights," they mean "equal protection under the law," which sometimes means "from the law."

If you are a white man living in a predominately black neighborhood that is receiving higher than average police attention, then your liklihood is the same as a black man in that neighborhood. But most white men don't live in that neighborhood, therefore your liklihood of police attention is smaller on average.

And the question is why? Or why you as a white man are more likely to get a warning for a speeding ticket, than a black man. Why?

Because you were polite? Did you both break the law or not?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Actually as a young white guy I did experience this. They treated me quite poorly, not sure how it would have gone had I been wearing blackface.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I never get warnings, dammit. I get speeding tickets a lot

4. fl0at_

I think you are looking at homicide rate by cops, then.

Because anytime a police officer discharges his or her weapon, it was because of "a threat to the welfare of police officers," right?

You've essentially said show me all the blue 1 dollar bills in this pile of green ones.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You don't know the secret handsign.

[​IMG]

6. fl0at_

Stop speeding criminal.

7. fl0at_

Anecdotes aside, let's take a simple logical poll.

Who thinks black drivers get equal warnings as white drivers? Regardless of personal history. Just plain gut feeling.

Who wants to put their name on that?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We talking hot black chick in bikini with nips peeking through versus fat white guy in wifebeater?

9. fl0at_

We can talk about her, though we should do it in a different thread. With pictures.

But for this, I think just average will suffice.

10. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

There's that "feeling" word again lol

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would say black people probably getting it at least somewhat worse.

No agenda, legit curious what people think: Suppose the officer is black. Who is getting it worse in the traffic stop? Black or white or equal?

12. fl0at_

It can be demonstrated, and has been, time and time again. It's why the fed cracks down on so many departments. Why quota systems got busted.

The thing is, common sense, or feelings, logic, whatever you want to call it, doesn't need to be demonstrated.

Now, are we better than we were in the 60s? Yes. Than the 80s? Yes. Than the 90s? Yes.

Do I need to demonstrate that we were bad in the 60s? In the 80s? In the 90s?

So why is it so hard to grasp that we're still not great NOW?

13. fl0at_

If young, equal. If old, white guy. If middle of the road, probably the black person.

And I say that because less likely the black driver goes all soccer mom, contact supervisor on the poor dude. But even if that's 1%, it's 1%.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Wonder if black cops let a higher % of black drivers off with warnings compared to white.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Alternative? What weapon did he have? Whether he was a threat or not, he was unarmed. You seem to be having an emotional response to a fact.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

They don't, as it turns out. The bias seems to be universal. You ever seen the clip of the little black girl choosing the white doll when asked which is prettier? Heartbreaking

17. fl0at_

I highly doubt it. And I'm going to stereotype here, so forgive me, but I think black cops are more likely to not care, not try to impress, etc etc, than white cops.

So they probably write more tickets. Which isn't to say white cops giving people warnings is a bad thing. The question is just why is there disproportion?

18. fl0at_

One of the best studies on inherent bias is to ask readers to describe book characters.

How do you picture this person in your mind?

All white.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Moby [penis]

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Depends on what their name is and how it's spelled.