Iraq Battles Islamists in Saddam’s Hometown

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jun 12, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sure.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

8th and I Marines are trained to follow the President until the salute is returned.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well they weren't until 1981 I guess.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Hard to say. I'd have to find a real old timer who came up before then, and was 8th and I.

Maybe Reagan started returning salutes so Marines would stop following him to the door step.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Not sure about other services, but I was taught that a lower rank is to offer a salute, first, and hold it until it's been returned.

But no one expects the POTUS to know that.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll do that tomorrow. The Chief Petty Officer in our NJROTC was on Clinton's helo detail. He spent lots of time at Camp David with them. He's a hard core Republican, but he thinks the sun rises and sets by Bill and Hillary. The most shocking thing he is emphatic about is how good a person Hillary is. The guy absolutely loves her. "Nicest most genuine person I've ever met" is a phrase he frequently use to describe her.

7. JayVols

Well said.

Respect goes a long way in all things.

8. JayVols

Getting aggrivated at a right winger because they choose to attack Obama over a salute is no different than getting pertubed at a fish for swimming. It's just what they do.

9. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

that's a 2 way street. and honestly, it's exactly what is wrong with the 2 party system. the cries of the far right and far left dominate all political discussions and the other 96% of the country are stuck listening to it.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The reasonable amongst us reject the notion that there is one set of rules for Dems, and another for Repubs.

If its wrong or right for one, it should be the same for all. Now, we sometimes disagree on what "it" is, or entails, but when we land on something firm, we're usually very good at its universal application.

JMHO.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Similar to a Democrat complaining about CEO compensation?!? It is what they do.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I don't remember as many people hating other presidents as much as they do Obama. I haven't really been into politics as much either. I didn't think baby Bush did a good job, but people that supported Obama before don't really like him now

13. JayVols

Sure it is.

14. JayVols

Sigh.

It would be. Sorry I wasn't all inclusive given the complaint was against right wingers. Next time I'll include righties- they complain about anything Obama-, lefties- yes they complain about anything corporate-, Caucasians-they complain about everything- , Eskimos- they complain about restriction on hunting seals whales etc-, dogs- they complain about cats-, cats- they like Caucasians hate everything-, sharks- they complain about not being able to sleep without drowning-, , lawyers (see what I did there?)- they get paid to complain about everything, June bugs- they complain about having a string tied to their legs and being flown around like a toy-, mosquito larvae- they complain about those fish that exclusively feed on them-, protozoa- never met one so not sure what they complian about-, , amoeba- they complain about pastueurization thus not being able to give people the shits....in my comments so others won't read more into what I was saying.

15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Silly bed wetting, cap success, liberal.

16. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

you must not have watched television from 2000-2008... or read newpapers... or been on the internet.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Carter and LBJ (who didn't even run for re-election because of it). Results equals approval or disapproval.

18. OrangeEmpire

Add Ford to the group?

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How could you hate Ford? He was placed in an impossible situation and was basically a filler president for 3 years.

Clinton was absolutely reviled by the the right. They even impeached him in the House, completely along party lines. Rush Limbaugh became Rush Limbaugh because of Clinton.

20. OrangeEmpire

Clinton is different because he was hated for being a highly successful president.