Martial law comin'

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The term "news show" is quite a loose term here.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Why? It's the number of source of news for 18-25 year olds

3. Unimane

I don't think many watch it for more than what it really is, a comedy show about the news, a glorified Weekend Update. I've seen a few studies that show the Daily Show viewers are among the most well informed, so I doubt many find the Daily Show their primary source of news. They watch to laugh about the news, not learn.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Very much disagree. Studies have shown that young people go to that show to get their political news. It's also far more agenda driven than any fox broadcast. Let's face it. Young people don't care about politics anyway. It's not surprising they aren't turning to the economist or the Washington post

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Imprimis, holla!

6. Unimane

No they don't. They show they get their news mostly from online and news channel sources, not a nightly comedy show. Here's one study.

http://newsdesk.umd.edu/engaged/release.cfm?ArticleID=2750

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

8. Unimane

Yep, which is unsurprising for youth, but, when they do get it, they mostly get it online and from news shows.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

10. Unimane

A couple of things I immediately noticed:

"The Daily Show not only assumes, but even requires, previous and significant knowledge of the news on the part of viewers if they want to get the joke."

"The survey also suggests Daily Show viewers are highly informed, an indication that The Daily Show is not their lone source of news. Regular viewers of The Daily Show and the Colbert Report were most likely to score in the highest percentile on knowledge of current affairs."

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[video=youtube;R1w85qMqIjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1w85qMqIjs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I get all of my political news from a guy that sends it to me in the mail in a brown envelope, hand written on 8.5x11 college rule paper. It is post marked from some place in Montana.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I haven't watched in quite awhile, but I never got the sense the jokes were very high-minded. Generally a clip was played and Stewart made some witty commentary. I wonder what percentage of jokes I'd struggle to grasp if I awoke from a five year coma to find the Daily Show on in my hospital room.

14. OrangeEmpire

The Soup

Tosh.0

Web Soup

The Onion News Network

Will never understand how being a slave to a political party makes one smarter.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

if your IQ remains above about 85, exactly 0.

16. netnvol

netnvol Member

Heard a fun story from a person running for office up here in my corner of northeast TN. Apparently he had some Tea Party folks approach him at a function and asked him with 100% seriousness what he was going to do about the 20,000 Russian troops who were massed between Asheville & Gatlinburg and who were under the control of Homeland Security.

Perhaps this explains a lot about traffic in Pigeon Forge.

17. OrangeEmpire

Really makes you wonder about the mental state of people.

I mean, logistics alone, I don't get it.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Looney tunes...

19. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Russians must be switching from vodka to moonshine.

20. OrangeEmpire

Why Russians?

I mean, heck of a lot of people would kill to have shelter and food.