OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Today was the first time ive heard of it. When she told me they were there to talk about what to do due to a medical condition I assumed like stage 4 cancer or something. This blew my mind.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd be cranking out as many notes and letters regarding my feelings for loved ones as I could, while I still could.

NYY and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, that's kind of like dying without dying. Your "soul" is obliterated.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lymph node drains have my wife looking like a Batman character or something. Odds are a couple of you fellas are going to be dealing with this in a few years with your wives unfortunately.
    Venting here at times helps.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I know it is hard to see, but thankfully we live in a time and country that has this tech.

And vent all you need to, friend.

6. NorrisAlan

Hopefully we don't wait till we are diagnosed with such a disease.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Prayers for your wife (and you). I know what your are dealing with. Our oldest daughter went through this last year. She is now going through reconstructive process. Stay strong.

Ssmiff likes this.
  8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This isn't going to be easy for you guys, but both of you can do it. Talk to your friends and family, and don't feel bad about asking for help, I guarantee you all of them will do anything to help you.

NYY likes this.
  9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What struck me was the photo that you posted of the family the night before the procedure. She has a beautiful smile going into what must be a terribly frightening ordeal. She is obviously a very strong Woman.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

yes she is the rock. I'm Kevin Hart

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Awful. My biggest fear in life is getting some terrible disease that would make me a burden to my family. I'd have serious thoughts, right or wrong, about finding the highest bridge or building I could find and eliminating a long process quickly.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Meh. We may feel that we are being a burden but I imagine an ending like that will do more emotional and psychological damage to our loved ones than our loved ones having to care for us.

13. CardinalVol

That would be about the only time I'd ever think it'd be ok, Then again, I have a family member who has said something similar before and it freaked everyone out, so it's probably still a terrible idea even if I understand the thought process behind it.

The other part of this that I found to be a mixture of sad and good all at once was that this was diagnosed because they had started going to marriage counseling and she was afraid their marriage was done. She said this was actually kind of a relief because she signed up "for better or worse, in sickness and in health" and this was still better than losing her marriage.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh. Is it better? I am not sure I would agree. It comes out the same for her and worse for her husband.

But that may be just my lense of the world.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Absolutely. And I'd prefer a family member go out like that than have to watch them suffer/deteriorate and become completely dependant on others. I watched that with my grandfather and it sucked.

16. CardinalVol

I think it's easier for her to handle that her husband of 30+ years doesn't suddenly hate her and instead has a problem that he has 0 control over.

Love's an amazing thing.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  17. Ssmiff

Its no fun when your mom or dad asks who you are. Take me quickly

18. CardinalVol

And today I just met with a guy whose wife has inoperable bone cancer and is confined to a bed.

It's not Tuesday at lunch and I'm pretty much done for the week.

19. NorrisAlan

Damn, is this just the demographic you deal with or an abnormally bad start to the week?

20. CardinalVol

Abnormally bad start to week.