OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's also no fun cleaning your loved one's ass.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

it was when we were 23

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You and grandpa were really close, huh?

kptvol, RockyHill and Joseph Brant like this.
  4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Was just thinking about milestones hitting at the end of this year. The next 44 days will see
    • My partner's 50th birthday.
    • Our 25th anniversary.
    • My 20 year work anniversary.
    How about those round numbers? Don't often see it this easy.

Volgrad98, warhammer, zehr27 and 3 others like this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary. My wife and I celebrated ours in September.

gcbvol likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Awesome. If I wasnt a bigot, I would be happy for you.

TennTradition and gcbvol like this.
  7. gcbvol

Thanks and congrats to you and your wife. Tempus fugit, right?

8. gcbvol

Well, it's the hypothetical thought which counts.

9. Ssmiff

Wish my brother lived like you. Hes older and still not out and has caused him a life of mental misery at times. My sis and i have always known and nobody cared.

10. NorrisAlan

I have large amounts of sympathy and compassion for people like your brother. We can understand his thought process, yet see the suffering it is causing him. If only he could accept himself for what he truly is, he would most likely be so much more happy.

IP likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

What are you, a psycho?

12. gcbvol

Pretty much.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Congrats on the anniversary, but about the work thing.

So like 20 years with one employer, at one place? I mean I'm coming up on 20 years of professional employment on Monday or there about (started the Monday of Thanksgiving week), but I've worked for 8 different employers in that time.

gcbvol likes this.
  14. NorrisAlan

I have worked at my job for 17 years. The idea of job hopping is alien to me.

Beginning to think GCB is my long lost gay twin.

gcbvol likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I actually hope this stop is my last stop job wise. Truth be told, if I was still in Nashville area, I'd probably be at my first job still.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have less than 3 years to retire, I'm not the kind of guy that can sit around and enjoy the good life.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Had a meeting yesterday with a client that had built a business from scratch, knew it was time to walk away, handed it to his son in law (who is also killing it), got bored, and went and started a new business.

kmf600 likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If I had stuck around my second job, I might be there today. I knew the guy who replaced me from college, and he's still there. I only left because it was supposedly going away which would have left me bouncing around from construction site to maintenance outage on the road all the time. My wife was pregnant, so that wasn't going to cut it long term. Guy who took the job spent like three weeks on the road, tops and got promoted after a couple of years.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

In my 20 years, well over half was spent with three employers and one of those I only left because the contract was up and my RIF date was within a month. I'm still at one of those three although I'm working on leaving or at least moving to a different office. The third was a soul-sucking pit of cultish tribalism where I had a boss whose spine was as limp as a noodle.

Of the rest, another was a short term job from the start. One place announced it was closing the plant about six months after I was hired.
    One was a bad fit from the start in an oddly organized company that would have had me reporting by dotted line to three different groups at the corporate level who did not like each other while my actual boss spoke mediocre English at best and was largely disinterested in my work. I was also being set up as the fall guy for a very serious injury that happened right after I arrived. I stayed just shy of 6 months there.

My last job I left because I was on the road all the time at a time when I had young teenagers. I loved that job and would have stayed despite the pay being a bit low.

20. gcbvol

I can't believe it myself sometimes. They've been good to me, though. Started in Chicago and they've allowed us to relocate twice. First to Atlanta then Tampa/St. Pete. I've worked pretty much exclusively at home minus business travel for the last 13 years, too. Been a pretty good run.

Funny thing is there is a 50/50 chance I won't be retained in current role. Major reorganization with new leadership team. Folks often like to bring in their own people so we'll see. Not stressing over it.