OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have my doubts about FTL travel, personally, and I don't think any "Galactic Federation" will ever be formed because of it. And yeah, why would they come to a boring yellow dwarf star out on the rim of the galaxy?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It doesn't have to be faster than light travel, "near to light" or whatever it would be called, would be fast enough, in a lot of cases.

But more likely than not, space is a set of curved mounds, where what would be many thousands of light years straight line distance is just a couple light years "short cut" distance.

3. NorrisAlan

Finding that shortcut, however, may prove impossible, or not. I just have my serious doubts. And if we don't "near light" has its problems, too, particularly with communication between star systems. Also, at "near light" speeds, unless we can block the microwave background, it turns into x-rays and gamma rays plowing through your ship! not a good time.

4. fl0at_

I would think the shortcuts would be found by finding the ships traveling through them, by the time we got into the game. If we think that dinosaurs roamed the world 65 million years go, what would our planet be like without a massive extinction event? 65 million years of potential alternate life growth is a lot of years. If we're 4.5 billion years old...

We, have as humans, have only had about 250,000 years of growth, and we've really come a long way in just the last 100 years. Computer algorithms that are used in advanced physics models, and even artificial intelligence, were created a hundred years ago, we just didn't have the tech until recently to implement them. So what would we be like even with an additional 100,000 years, assuming we don't botch our atmosphere.

At any rate, the microwave problem is solvable. If you think about it, microwaves are ... waves. So all you have to do is disrupt the wave. You can dampen it, with a type of force field, but you might can amplify it as well, make it more diffuse and less likely to disrupt.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Duh...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Wish we could say the same for our break room

7. fl0at_

They are like $120. Go buy one, and put it in your office.

Ya ain't poor. Use your privilege.

utvol0427 likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

air fryer may be my best purchase in awhile. Cooked up some Rally's fries last night. Have done popcorn chicken, catfish, bacon...

9. JohnnyQuickkick

It’s really more of a people problem tbh

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

if you are advanced enough to visit other star systems, would there still be a material purpose in doing so? interstellar flight as a species behavior may be quite circumstantial, even among the species who can achieve it.

11. fl0at_

Where else will the Dread Pirate Xahdacghaarszia hide their stolen gabdksiznabs'?

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

7 billion slaves might be tempting if needed.

13. fl0at_

Shit, have you seen our craftsmanship? And we can barely lift anything with weak bones.

At best, we're 7 billion disease carriers. Which nobody wants.

14. CardinalVol

Eh, depends on what the job is.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

we are more like a potential aquarium species than a useful labor force if they are that advanced

16. CardinalVol

Eh, maybe they want to learn the nuisances of the the pistol offense then.

17. fl0at_

Any specie advanced enough to have surpassed us in tool generation, which is what a spaceship is, will have surpassed our ability to do any job we could possibly do.

18. fl0at_

Yes. We could definitely be entertainment.

19. NorrisAlan

Yeah, outside of agriculture, I cannot think of a single job that we still use animal labor to perform, which is what we would essentially be.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

This is all well-documented. They just want our resources, they don’t give a crap about us.