OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We have chipmunks all over the place even though my terrier catches them all the time, snaps the neck then drops it and slowly walks away. Between rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels he has to be near 30 kills this year.
    Hes 9 now but still fast as hell.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I need something that will kill moles. I wish I wasn't shit at CAD, then I'd build an autonomous snake with a nose mounted CO2 driven pellet gun, small camera and some facial recognition to terminate the bastards.

I'm doing it anyway, but it just takes so damn long.

3. Ssmiff

Yeah quite a few of those too but the 2 dogs team together to tear up my yard as one digs where ever the mole is and the other comes in for help D.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pipe your car exhaust into their hole. CO2 is more dense than air, they'll go to sleep and suffocate.

5. fl0at_

It's not my holes that are the concern. I decimate mole populations.

But the bastards live in neighbor holes, and then come back after a season or two.

I need a passive solution.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

7. fl0at_

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Moles loosen soil, not pack it. A funny thing about pests is that they invariably get blamed for everything if they are present.

Keep trapping them. They'll keep breeding. If you change nothing, nothing changes. I get the feeling you want a poison they will take home and get them all. I don't think that will work, since they don't have the rigid social structure of an ant or something.

9. fl0at_

From the top of the soil to 6 inches is loose. From 6 inches to 9 inches it is like packed concrete. Probably from 50 years of moles treating the bottom of the 6 like a highway.

I don't trap them. I kill them. I gas them. I poison them. I dig out there nests.

But I live in a neighborhood. With other houses. Houses where people don't do these things. Houses where the moles populate. Houses where the population becomes larger than their environment can support.

And then they move back in.

Not sure how that's a hard concept to follow.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Got an offer that basically doubles my salary to recruit for a hospital here. No idea if the risk of recruiting for healthcare is worth making the jump right now.

11. Ssmiff

I'd find out what their expectations are when considering the current nurse situation. They may just need somebody in there giving effort or may have some crazy quota numbers without the amenities to back them up.

IP and fl0at_ like this.
  12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Starting out it's recruiting patient care techs and transport folks. They expect 55% monthly fill rate at the moment.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I follow completely. you're [uck fay]ed. if your lawn is desirable and surrounded by a reservoir mole metropolis you will be slaying moles to make room for the next wave of moles

14. fl0at_

This was my conclusion as well. Hence the need for a mole terminator. One that can come and go as it pleases, without input from me.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wonder if you could just have an outdoor pet black snake or something. We had a big king snake that lived in our crawl space in New Mexico, growing up. Kept the rattle snakes at bay.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Get some chickens.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Sounds like a job for a mink

IP likes this.
  18. fl0at_

This is west Tennessee man. The second a snake was seen all the neighbors would be over with a shovel playing wack a snake instead of wack a mole.

19. fl0at_

Pool with vinyl liner. Though tempting, it might claw up the sides rather than use the stairs out.

Animals are rude like that.

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

A general lack of concern for your own holes is never a good sign.