OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

You know what animal is Switzerland in this debate? Caecilians. Evolved away from legs. Evolved away from eyes. They are just not interested in this issue.

[​IMG]

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Seems like they are team eyes.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/amphibians/facts/caecilians

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you want to argue with my 6th grade Science teacher, go ahead. It's one eye.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think a staring contest would be most appropriate.

6. CardinalVol

It's been 30 years, but I'm willing to guess his angry stare is still as terrifying as it was then.

justingroves likes this.
  7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Questions for all of you who moved away for college, how often did your family come visit you during the semester? If you didn't go home for summer, how often did they come visit during the summer?

9. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Once, maybe twice for fall semester. 2-3 times total in spring semester over 4 years. There were two summers I didn’t go home, don’t think they ever came during the summer, but we had 2 mini semesters in summer and I came home after spring finals and between mini semesters so there was no point in them coming.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Once every 4 weekends I went home. Probably would have been less if I lived further away, but it was 1.5 hours.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

My dad came up for a football game. I went home for 1 summer but spent the rest in Knoxville working at and for Lord Lindsey’s. That crazy dude had a crazy successful catering business as well as the club. Of course being from Memphis helped ebb the desire to go back. They didn’t really visit.

12. CardinalVol

Probably once a semester each way. They may come up twice depending on football schedule.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Never, and once. A negative comment regarding some construction around Circle Park at the time prompted a "this is what we pay for?" comment, which was rebuked by my then-stepmother because they did not, in fact, pay for anything.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I never stayed in Knoxville during the summers because I had a pretty good job for summer and winter break. Now, during the school year I rarely went home. My dad came up three times, one of those was graduation and my mom came up once, for graduation

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

First and second year I went home for the breaks. Don’t really remember how many times my parents came up. They like to camp in the smokies so at least probably once a semester.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Thanks for the responses. This will help me prove my point even further to my dumbass sister-in-law.

My sister-in-law moved to ETSU 4 years ago and is in her final semester. She decided over the summer that my wife and I (plus two kids) don't come up to see her enough and, other than the occasional text, hasn't talked to my wife/kids in 3 months. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen different times we've been to Johnson City to see her in the 4 years she's been there and she comes down to Knoxville regularly. For some reason, she's decided to be a [unt cay] and is using this as her reasoning. I couldn't care less about it, but it has my wife and oldest son upset that she hasn't seen them for so long.

[itch bay]es be trippin'.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And how many times has she been down to see you?

Reason I stopped 15 years ago going down to Ft. Lauderdale to see family. They never came up to visit us after we moved here in 1979. So, good luck, love you, but if you want to see me, let me know and we can meet half way in Valdosta.

As for me, I lived at home and went to UT. We lived in South Knoxville on Moody Ave and I was about 2 miles from campus.

Joseph Brant and IP like this.
  18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

She comes down quite a bit, but not to see us. It's to party/hang out with friends for the weekend and we may or may not see her, depending on her plans. I don't fault her at all for not going out of the way to see family, I was that age once and family was definitely not always top priority. Just drives me crazy that she's randomly mad that we didn't drive to Johnson City enough, especially given every thing we've been dealing with over the last 18 months since my youngest son was born.

I assume there is probably a deeper issue she's dealing with and this is just a by-product of it.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

She's tripping hard.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I went to college a half hour from home and I went home a couple times a semester and my family came a couple times a semester. We were always close by if we needed each other, but I was pretty independent and my siblings weren't.