OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I can't help but laugh at that a little. I'd go to a fishing expo or boat show, but a fish weigh in? Everyone has their thing I guess.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not my thing either, but I guess it if gets people outside and appreciating nature then it is a good thing.

warhammer likes this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It would be like showing up to Neyland after the game to listen to someone read the box score.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s all of those things in one. They basically took the city over. They used the convention center, TBA and the landing by Calhoun’s. They even ran shuttles around town for all of the locations.

I don’t fish personally, but it’s a huge deal. These guys use 100k+ boats and are basically stars in the industry.

warhammer likes this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Oh I get that. I know a couple of guys, one in particular, who is (or at least was) way into that sort of thing. This guy not only attended but volunteered at the pro fishing weigh in when it was in town taking a week off from work to do so. Some of us would make fun of him because he was so obsessed with pro fishing that it came off weird, but as it was, his wife worked two jobs so that he could work as a firefighter one day in three and chase his pro fishing dreams the other two in a $60k boat he pulled with a $50k truck back in the early to mid '00s. Days off that he wouldn't fish, he would often make a three hour drive to Nashville to go to Bass Pro Shops. That wasn't the closest, but it was the one he preferred for some reason that escapes me at present. Over the the five years I was around him frequently, his primary goal was to get his boat wrapped. To my knowledge he did not succeed in ever doing so. He was my introduction to how big it was talking about the weigh ins and how many tens of thousands would attend.

I can't help but tell a little more about this dude. Not only did his wife finance the boat, the truck, and their house, she would also get up every morning to make him breakfast and pack his lunch or other meals for the day whether he was at work or fishing. When he would get home from the lake, she helped him clean and wipe down his boat. As far as I know, his only responsibility around the house was some yard work that she also helped with. They had a child a couple of years after we moved away, and I lost track of whether he was still going full tilt after the fishing life or not.

You couldn't help but pick on him a bit about it because he had this short tempered attitude about anything that was a setback particularly with fishing, but how he managed to get his wife to do what she did for him was nothing short of a mystery to most folks.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Dang that post didn't look that long.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Went to see whose line is it anyway live tonight. That’s the hardest I’ve laughed in a long time.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

More president portraits

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

10. CardinalVol

This Gwyneth Paltrow trial is amazing to follow. Not because of anything interesting, just for the sheer absurdity that keeps coming out of it.

justingroves likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Only seeing stuff on the morning news. Seems like a shake of the money tree. He hit her. And was skiing fast in his late 60's.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If I was the guy, I'd work in how she was smelling her private parts when she ran over and almost killed me, just go big.

13. CardinalVol

I'm following via Twitter so I'm only seeing the good parts. Him going straight from this to Epstein Island from the stand yesterday was fantastic.

justingroves and IP like this.
  14. CardinalVol

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a weird situation where I think the original agreement gave away too much authority to Disney but that FL's reactions now are for all the wrong reasons (hello 1st amendment). It is an illustration of both corporate and government overreach, in weird ways.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The original agreement worked out well for central Florida. Before Disney came, no one gave a shit about Orlando, it was just a small city. Now it's a huge piece of the economic engine of the state.

It's really weird on the internet seeing Republicans cheering the government controlling private businesses and democrats cheering big business fighting back. It's truly bizarro world.

Poppa T and justingroves like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm taking the "good, let them fight" stance.

justingroves and warhammer like this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If it was up to me I’d burn Disney to the ground. That’s what I’m telling my future hypothetical children happened, anyway

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Never wanted to go and none of my kids did, thank goodness. Not one of them into Disney stuff. Or Barney or Caillou. Wife had some baby dvd with shapes and noises we’d put on. And some Wiggles. Think my 3rd one grew up on nothing but SpongeBob and Mr Bean.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

Hollywood Studios is fun as all get out. Can take or leave the other parks thought although Magic Kingdom is fun when kids were little and got to see all the characters but now isn't as special. Epcot is awful.