OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I really hope that holds true. Although can’t alligators basically shut down their bodies and hibernate through harsh winters?

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

inb4 IP comes and drops some obscure alligator factoid and proves how wrong you are.

ole_orange and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Well I can tell you there's a few swimming the Tennessee River in North Alabama. Your days are numbered.

justingroves likes this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

We have had enough problems as Tennesseans the past 25/30 years dealing with Gators successfully invading and running us out of our alma mater’s football stadium typically once every two years.

We as Tennesseans don’t now need actual gators invading our state. Tennessee and alligators just don’t naturally mix well together.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

As long as they stay out of Smith Lake in Alabama where I visit and swim at a few times a year for lake weekend reunions with the childhood friend group, I can live with gators [uck fay]ing up the rest of Alabama.

The sheer thought of alligators ever being in the water with me whenever I canoe the Harpeth River is absolutely terrifying to me.

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yeah. Alligators aren't too bad as long as people don't feed them. But people are dumb, so...

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

True, apparently*. Not that I want to ever experience firsthand the idea of whether or not Alligators are chill animals.

Those Nile Crocs though will kill you and anything else living they can get ahold of just for the sport of it. I know Hippos kill more folks worldwide annually. Yet I still think those giant croc species such as the Nile and Salties are the scariest, most intimidating animals within the entire animal kingdom.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Alligators do something called brumation, which is similar. The will create mud holes and stick their snout up so that they can still breathe even if things freeze up.

[​IMG]

They can do this for up to 5 months, and then become active again when things warm up. There has already been a range expansion northward of Alligators, and population expansion is being seen in North Carolina and even southern coastal Virginia around the Great Dismal Swamp. So yes, it is possible that at some point you could see them in Tennessee.

Alligator in a Virginia resident's pool last year: https://www.wtkr.com/news/alligator-rescued-after-being-spotted-in-chesapeake-pool

Counterpoint- their sex is determined by the temperature of the eggs in the nest, and warmer temperatures may skew the population toward female. Some people cite that as a major concern for them. But with microclimates, timing of breeding, and northern expansion, I wouldn't count the American alligator out.

gcbvol and ole_orange like this.
  9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If they can survive an asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, they can probably survive a lil cold. Resilient creatures. Regardless I will be cheering against alligators ever becoming an actual thing in this state.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

The dinosaurs are still here too: birds.

[​IMG]

ole_orange likes this.
  11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’ve actually heard before that it’s possible our idea of what a T-Rex looked like as depicted in Jurassic Park and pop culture could be incorrect. That essentially t-Rex might have looked more like a giant, scary ass feathery chicken with teeth as opposed to how we conventionally picture them. That perhaps their lil arms were more like wings that didn’t work in functionality. But idk. No clue if that’s just BS or if there is something to that theory

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do not know about a tyrannosaurus specifically, but the thinking is that more were partially feathered than was evident when we sort of imagined them in the flesh as scaly only. For temperature regulation, display, etc. I think if we had a time machine, their mannerisms and movements, along with a smattering of feathers, would make the bird connection super obvious.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Any of you cucks ever hiked Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina? Heading that way this weekend before spring practice kicks up next week.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Pretty sure T-Rexes became Canada geese

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think there's been a few little ones found around Memphis

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I have. Quite a few years ago

Buddy and I backpacked all over Tn/NC mountains and the occasional Ga/SC trip. Made it an annual winter thing starting back '75->2000ish. Initially because it was break between Fall/Winter classes, but as we got older it was easy to get week off, no bugs, no snakes, no bears (most times), no tourists/hikers/newbies. Then we got too old that it wasn't as fun.

IIRC, we went up one trail backside and came down the old road/main trail; it was windy as hell, gale force-level; we stayed in tent, but there used to be primitive shelter (I guess it is still there). It was in winter, cold as hell and the George Dickel was very nice. It was very pretty up there, though.

NYY likes this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

My chihuahua does something like this when the AC is on or he is otherwise cold. Sticks his nose out of the covers and hibernates overnight and into the next day as he's gotten older. He's fixed though, so the temperature won't affect the sex of his eggs.

gcbvol and IP like this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

19. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

After growing up in East TN, in college it weirded me out going to creeks/small rivers where we knew there were alligators. Took all of two trips to realize being afraid of them would be like being scared to hike in the smokies because of black bears or copperheads. Unless you’re an idiot the odds of having an issue are virtually zero.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

They typically feed at night and fear humans unless they have been fed. Don't walk your pets near water at night and you're generally good.

You get accustomed to them.