OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I almost asked the pastor but thought better of it since I didn't know if this was doctrine or superstition or style or what.

justingroves likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, but I wonder if it is tied to that kind of message.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't know how people believe in that. I remember hearing it back in the 80's and it always seemed to go against everything Jesus ever said about money.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Religion (many kinds) ... are things that people will use and hide behind to justify/rationalize some truly egregious behavior.

VolDad likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It does. But a lot of people don’t know all that much about what Jesus said and that kind of stuff sounds attractive. Look at Osteen’s empire

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Never heard that one before. Sounds prosperity gospely though.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh. Bummer, I fear that teaching can be hurtful.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think if you follow the teachings you’ll have a pretty rich life.

The secret is not getting into the money trap game.

9. NorrisAlan

Rich in the sense of peace and good friends and happiness, yes, I agree.

Money, no.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That seems kind of crass for most of them, the big ones anyway.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've never heard that. It's pretty unbiblical if you ask me. We aren't exactly rich, but I start looking around and feeling like I'm doing it wrong when reading Jesus' teachings.

12. CardinalVol

Depends on how it was said. I can definitely see some of them saying it.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't pay that much attention anymore. When my mom was alive, I would find her watching JO and we would have conversations about it.

14. CardinalVol

I, too, have had that conversation with my mom.

warhammer likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

What if it was meant as some kind of "rich in the Spirit" or richer? Like, from a perspective that all believers are rich in the kingdom of heaven or something?

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s not true, imo.

I think you can do both. You just value the first more than your money.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sure you can do both, my understanding is that the teaching implies poverty is a moral judgement from God, which is harmful to people in poor circumstances.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It could be something like that. I've never heard anything like that at a wedding, but I barely paid attention to the vows at my own wedding. I probably would have repeated a vow to wash dishes every time it's needed without even realizing it.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There are probably some who adhere to that belief, but it seems less common today. The worst condemnation I've heard lately along those lines is that God blesses us with what we are willing to give up freely. You can take that as a judgement against someone or as instruction to help the needy and poor. When I was a kid, I definitely remember people tying accumulation of wealth to righteous living in a gossipy sort of way. I've not heard that in conversation in a long while, but it may be because church folks wouldn't say that sort of thing to me.

IP likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

Don't misunderstand me, if you are a Christian doesn't mean you have to be poor. Far from it. But following the teachings of Christ, imho, will do nothing to affect your worldly welfare, one way or the other. His was always about the Kingdom of God, not the earth. As I remember it, but it has been 35 years.