OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was there in late October or early November I think. The weather was very nice except the last day of my trip which was spent north of Seattle at Sedro-Woolley, and that day wasn't too terrible until it was time to drive back to Seattle. The rain was constant and heavy the whole trip.

The day before that I drove from Republic to Sedro-Woolley through the northern part of the Cascades. It was a fantastic drive and wild, for me anyway, to go from warm temps to snowy, icy mountain passes in the space of several minutes.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I haven’t been to Washington but Portland looked to me like what I think of with Pacific Northwest and then we basically drove into Kansas as we headed for Eugene

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Washington, as the lady behind the counter at the Republic Inn explained to me, is a lot different depending on whether you are to the right of the mountains or the left of the mountains.

Parts of Portland reminded me of a third world country, but the area around it was beautiful. I spent a few days near Hermiston for work after flying into Pasco, Washington. There to the east, it was neat to see how the river valley was lush compared to the high plains desert where Hermiston is located. I saw my first tumbleweeds in Oregon.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I drove through Kansas when 9/11 happened and I was in Denver. There is no worse drive than Kansas end to end

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eh, there's a lot of that out west. I drove from Nashville to KC a few months ago, and the stretch from St. Louis to KC is pretty desolate.

Edit: I'm not calling that drive out west, but it's kind of similarly dull.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Honestly, I completely expected the whole thing to be just seafood and logging. I had no clue that they produced so much hay in that area. I could have picked this all up from a map if Id have been smart enough to pay attention to it while looking for directions. But would love to explore more of the area.

I also saw my first tumbleweeds on this trip. Blowing across the interstate even, just like you see in movies. Almost hit one with the car.

10SEvols likes this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I thought it was a pack of some kind of huge coyotes or dogs at first in the distance running across the road before I got a closer look.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Of course the old west had no tumbleweeds. It is an invasive from the Russian steppes that took off in the late nineteenth and early 20th century. The movies are ahistorical. No 10 gallon hats either.

InVolNerable likes this.
  9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Movies aren’t always accurate portrayals of real life!?! Well, my day is already ruined.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, I'm just getting started.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think I’d start with the old west actually not being that violent first as the biggest strike

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And gun check ins at towns. People didn't wear six shooters all over the joint

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, a town of 150 residents is not having weekly shootouts. Nobody has the time or energy for it, they had things to do. And there wouldn't be a town if it was a regular thing.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I know. This isn’t my first day at the 8th.

SetVol13, warhammer, IP and 1 other person like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just Derringers in their sleeves

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

sleeve guns were invented in World War 2, it being a Wild West thing is just movies... made after World War 2. Which is telling.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know, it's always cracked me up

IP likes this.
  19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Oh man, the mythology from the Old West is rampant. They've gotten better at these things lately, but myth in history is so, so strong. Deadwood got the treatment of women/prostitutes right in a way few movies previously had done. About a third of cowboys were black, not to mention the cowboys were taught their trade by Mexican vaqueros. Barbed wire completely changing the West is rarely given the prominence it required and so on. Unforgiven demystifying the western the gunslinger was a good turn in the silly cowboy vs. Indian movies of the past. Screw John Wayne.

IP likes this.
  20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain