Pete Rose

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Aug 23, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's now been 25 years since he was banned.

Just curious if there is anyone here who doesn't think he should be voted into the HOF? If so, why?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

He never voted against his team, correct? I feel like that matters.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, I am a sucker for forgiveness.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I hate Bud Selig

5. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

We had Pete manage an independent team here in the spring, he's become a pretty pathetic figure. I'm of the opinion he never should've been banned, like IP said, what's the harm in betting on yourself to win?

One of those things where some baseball folks are so sanctimonious that they stick to their guns even while knowing that their stance is utter bullshit.

6. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

nailed it.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Pete Rose is much like Barry Bonds in my eyes. No matter what your personal opinion is, nor how big of an ******* he is, should change the fact that he belongs in the Hall. He's a liar and overall pond scum. But the fact is, no one in their right mind should ever believe he bet against his own team. His numbers are outrageous, and yea he technically hung around too long. But if we're keeping people out just because they're *******s, them that's a shame.

Any entity that has Ty Cobb as one of its members has no right to ever use a moral compass to enlist others.

8. OrangeEmpire

All it takes is a different room, wing, whatever for these guys. Their stories are a part of the game.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Should be in strictly based off his playing career.

Had he been the worst manager in the history of baseball and never won a game he would still be in as a player without question. Im not sure why his gambling situation (agree with it or not) should matter less the points made above in this thread by NYY.

10. OrangeEmpire

Sholess Joe, baby!

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. Since the BlackSox scandal, every single locker room in MLB is required to have a single sign posted, stating the explicit rules prohibiting betting on baseball, and warning of the dire consequences for those who break it. It makes no difference if the bets are made "for" or "against" your team.

2. The rules prohibiting the betting on baseball are so strictly enforced, and the punishment so overwhelmingly severe as a necessary means of protecting the very integrity of the game, itself, including each team and player, alike.

3. Pete Rose must have walked past that sign tens of thousands of times throughout his playing and coaching career. It is impossible to believe that he was unaware of the rule, or of the possibility that he could face overwhelming - and irreversible - penalties for violating it.

4. Despite this. He bet on baseball. Again. And again. And again. And again.

5. And only when he was faced with overwhelming and incontrovertible evidence that he had bet on baseball, did he admit to it, in private to Bart Giamati. After which, he accepted his ban.

6. Only later, after Giamati suddenly died, did Rose then claim that there was some super-secret agreement with Giamati to rescind the lifelong ban, at some unknown point in the future. A "deal" which Giamati never agreed to, and which Rose could never bring one shred of evidence to support such a preposterous and baseless claim.

7. Thereafter, Rose spent the next several years talking to anyone who would listen, bemoaning his "unfair" and "unjust" plight, and even denying that he ever bet on baseball, at all. And he convinced many thousands of dullards and sycophants - such as you "let him in!" idiots, posting in this thread - to raise his case with ever-increasing fervor, and loudly protest the equally "unfair" and "unjust" penalties which were being thrust upon this innocent great of the game.

8. And when that public outcry didn't make anyone budge, and he needed to make a quick buck (you know, because he's a degenerate who is addicted to gambling) - he finally came clean, and (re)admitted to betting on baseball in his tell-all book. And in so doing, he not only made fools of those who had naively championed his cause for so many years....but he profited off it.

9. And now, despite all of this, you dipshits still don't get it, and are stupid enough to not merely discuss such a truly and uniquely idiotic idea, but continue to support it. Rich.

10. The only way he gets in now is if the members of the Hall nominate and accept him. And all of you guys who are waiting on that should continue to do so, while sticking your heads under water, so as to force you to hold your breath.

Pete Rose will NEVER get into the baseball Hall of Fame, nor should he be, be it in a certain wing of whatever other nonsense you've collectively suggested, here. Never. Never, ever, ever, ever.

Of course, this is sad for someone like me, who not only despises baseball, but who would LOVE to see them give a Drain-O enema to what small shards of credibility they have left. Keeping Rose out of Canton may be the best - the only - thing Bud Selig has done as MLB Commissioner.

As for those of you who still can't figure this out, well, I'd suggest you each get a bucket and fill it with water.....

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He didn't bet on his team when he didn't think they'd win. I don't see a whole lot of difference. Personally I think it's ridiculous he's not in the hall of fame though

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

When they get off their asses and reinstate Buck Weaver, then I'll begin to consider Rose. As baseball has a guy dead for more than 50 years still serving a "lifetime" ban for, essentially, not snitching, I doubt they will have sympathy for a known violater of their most sacred rule who then habitually lied about it for years, while also doing things like setting up autograph signings across from the HOF.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You also have obvious roiders like frank thomas being let in. What a joke. No reason you can't have a plaque that lists all the horrible things they've done.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Frank Thomas is an obvious roider?

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah, I thought he was fairly widely recognized as clean.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not sucking up to Tenny, but I have to agree with nearly everything he said. Betting on the game is THE cardinal sin of baseball. Gambling nearly destroyed the sport more than once, and after the 1919 Black Sox, it had to be squashed.

Rose knew well and full what he was doing, and continued to do it anyway. In my mind, this makes his on the field exploits null and void. Either you are banned from baseball, or you are not.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Look at rookie Frank Thomas. Then look at mid career Frank Thomas. His head expanded every bit as much as Barry Bonds. He was also twice as thick. It was pretty obvious.

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

His utter disregard for anyone or anything other than himself put him in this position. No sympathy.