Pete Rose

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I can go with this, the statistics were inflated across the board, but overall they were probably fairly normalized.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

So Barry Bonds should be in the HOF?

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

No. His numbers are a direct result of performance enhancers. Rose's numbers weren't.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Not saying I know for sure, but someone please explain to me what makes them so sure Frank Thomas juiced, aside from the fact that he got bigger. His numbers don't really suggest it and he's really never even been linked to steroids. Not to mention HOF voters have pretty much locked out the steroid users, and they voted Frank in. What am I missing?

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Bonds won 3 MVPs and was easily the best player in the game before he ever touched a PED. Pete Rose never had a day in his life that he was the best. Also, his fat ass spent most of the 70s and 80s taking greenies so he could play 150 plus games a year.

6. hatvol96

Why would I care about a player whose only accomplishment is keeping himself in the lineup to the detriment of his team? Ripken is the most overrated athlete in the history of American sport.

7. hatvol96

That he wasn't an *******. Do you actually think Tom Glavine was clean? If so, I'll just end the discussion now.

8. RockyHill

I've never thought about Glavine, I know steroids were everywhere, he didn't fit the look though. Note, I'm not saying that means he didn't juice. On Thomas, the only two options are he didn't use, or he's the biggest fake in the history of the game. If you google "frank thomas steroids", you mostly get stuff about how he never did it and was a leader in speaking out against steroids. If he was using them while talking like that, he's a first class POS.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not that I doubt you, but why the hell would he have been juicing? He need his changeup on the outside corner to break 80 or something?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bold statement.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That would also make him the first athlete to talk out of both sides of his mouth.

12. RockyHill

You get what I mean though. There were plenty of guys juicing that said they weren't, and were adamant. But to my knowledge, none of them were actively speaking out against how bad steroids were and attempting to lead the charge in rallying against them, while also using them.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The HoF is a joke and the BBWAA is the biggest fraud associated with professional sports. Bug Selig can kiss my ****ing ass too.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There were no policies in place banning steroids. It was a travesty what happened to baseball post-Bash Brothers. It made a mockery of the sport. Now, there are rules in place. And I still do not think any of the overt juicers will ever get in to the HOF even without a ban on steroids when they played.

When Rose played, there had been 65 years of a big sign saying "BET AND GET BANNED". He knew the consequences. I cannot see how this is even an argument.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is why the ped argument from hof voters makes me laugh. If it wasn't steroids or hgh, it was speed and greenies.

Now it's Adderall

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Better kick Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker out of the Hall, then. We wouldn't want to damage the integrity of the game.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His head grew 2 hat sizes.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Frank was respected very much in the clubhouses of the teams he played for. He was also very conscientious of his reputation. He was very, very careful with who he associated with and how he got his goods.

19. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Amazing how easy it is to avoid scrutiny simply by being a nice guy

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ding ding ding. Kiss the right asses and his enormous dome gets completely ignored come hof time