Phobia Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Nov 28, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Somebody mentioned starting one of these so here it is. Mine is cockroaches. I don't like larger insects in general, but cockroaches, I absolutely can't deal with. It's not fear that they will kill me and eat my testicles, it's the feeling complete uttermost revulsion.

EDIT: and sucking at football forever.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Flying still makes me nervous in the time leading up to me getting on the place. Once the door shuts and we're up in the air, I'm a lot better. It's weird.

3. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

I have an extremely hard time driving on bridges over bodies of water. My fear has somewhat abated with age, but I'm still a coconut when I come upon an unexpected bridge while traveling.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Not a phobia, but snakes bug the hell out of me because of how they just appear. You don't see them until you're about to step on them, or they're laying at eye level in a hay loft as you walk by. At least a dozen times a year I get to the verge of soiling myself as a result.

5. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I'm terrified of needles. I can't even watch someone else get a needle (not even on a movie). I can take one in the arm as long as it's not in a vein and I have my head turned the other way (that wasn't to bad).

6. Joseph Brant

You should try the James River Bridge on a foggy night. Its fairly bothersome.

7. PoochPunt3rdDown

I've done the GW, Triborough, and Tapanzee Bridges in New York, The Golden Gate near where my sister lives, that monster between KY and IN going into Louisville, the bridge over Lake Pontachartrain and being stuck in traffic on the Henley Street during a wreck caused me to get out of my car and sit on the side on the sidewalk until traffic started flowing again. I really f-ing hate my phobia....

EDIT: Oh, I've been over that nasty mofo in Virginia before along with the Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel. Not a big fan of those, either; tunnels.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. Joseph Brant

The Tappan Zee is falling apart. The project to fix it is going to suck, as that's the fastest route by far from my place to Maryland, a regular trip.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We were caught on the Greensboro Bridge at 5 AM when we were in NYC last time. Stuck in traffic for 45 minutes and we were dead in the middle of the bridge. Think you would have had a bad time, pooch.

10. PoochPunt3rdDown

That bridge is a disaster to travel.

Almost all of the above listed, I traveled alone. That is the worst. If someone is with me, I'm normally just anxious and not full-blown Faildozer Bracket melting down. :D

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not a fan of spiders. Most grounded bugs I'll try and guide out of the house, but not spiders. They must die immediately.

12. Spiders. Easily. I killed one with a 12 gauge once because he was big and I didn't want to get too close. And to send a message to any other spiders that may have been watching.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I have a huge fear of being trapped in a burning vehicle. All our cars have a fire ext and knives within arms reach of all the seats.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That apartment building kind of between Chapman and James White (used to be called Sterling Heights) had some evil looking giant wolf spiders roaming around. You'd try to kill them and they'd run between the wall and the door frame. Then you had to try to sleep knowing he's in there waiting to come out and crawl on your face.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Bats. Got 17 stitches because of the little bastards. Well, actually from the razor wire, but had there not been bats, there wouldn't have been a need to run through the razor wire.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Cool story, Bruce Wayne.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Batman would have probably done a better job of clearing the wire. It was an epic fail.

Interesting, though, because I've always generally associated that phobia with Ace Ventura.

I'm not sure if I now feel better or worse. Worse, probably.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tropical diseases

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Worse, never place Ace Ventura above Batman.

Candiru fish for me.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Kickers.

fl0at_ likes this.