Phobia Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Nov 28, 2012.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Give me snakes, spiders, bridges, bats, any of the normal stuff. Just don't get me around a moth. I freaking hate those things. Not because they're scary, but they leave that nasty white powder everywhere they land. They're completely disgusting.

Feel free to laugh at me.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Fat women and snakes

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Or is it fat snakes and women?

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I too am terrified of going over bridges, especially if it's not a frequent occurrence. Actually, I'm more scared the bridge will collapse and I will die trying to get out of the car.

Spiders. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate them. Until about 3 years ago, I couldn't even kill them, I'd just freeze. Can finally at least kill them now.

Crowded elevators. I don't mind elevators, but I start to freak out a little if it gets overly crowded.

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

So how about a car full of spiders crossing a bridge?

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'd probably die of a heart-attack, not going to lie.

7. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

I'm scared of fathers aiming guns at me.

8. britt1974

britt1974 New Member

Hell just take it off yourself! Attack it. Mine was getting thin so I just took care of it!

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I'll just be here cleaning my gun...

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you referring to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel or the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel? Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel is like 3 miles long with a Tunnel and it can get crowded as all get out. Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is almost 23 miles long and features two tunnels. Depending on the type of day you can reach points and see nothing but water. Bridges fascinate me and I lived up there for two years so I'm curious.

11. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I'm not actually afraid of clowns, but much like the OP, I don't like cockroaches. I can deal with spiders, snakes, etc, etc.... but cockroaches are just nasty.

And, I know where mine comes from.... the movie Creep Show from 1982, start at the 35s mark:

[video=youtube;Yob2uziCHaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yob2uziCHaQ&t=35s[/video]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I guess I will reiterate - I can't f'ing stand bugs. Terror of terrors was when I was camping in Cherokee national forest and for the first time in my life encountered Dobsonflies (google if you dare). I was stoking the campfire one morning getting ready for breakfast and saw a dragonfly snatch a monarch out of the air - pretty unusual I thought - until a dobsonfly swooped in and gobbled up both. That night they set in on us, stomping was no match. We would have to beat them senseless with sticks then fling them into the fire. I would have rather faced a black bear.

It was also mentioned before, but I can't stand the thought of jumping into the ocean when you're in 2000+ feet of water. I fish as much as my wallet will allow in the keys, and have no problem wading in flats, slogging around mangroves and snorkeling around the reefs watching sharks, giant grouper, stingrays and barracuda all around me - but when it turns cobalt blue in the deep water you have a better chance throwing a cat overboard than me.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Fun fact, we had a swim call over the Marianas Trench while on deployment. The salinity rate made you float like a cork.

14. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

F that noise. You know how many giant nightmarish looking things were below you looking up and licking their lips. *shiver*

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Giant nightmarish looking things vs constant heckling by squids for the rest of delployment? Hmmm...I'll go with the nightmarish looking things.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Deep water in the ocean is even worse. In general, I don't like ocean water after I was ran out of the water by a shark in Hilton Head a few years back. It doesn't stop me from getting in the water, but it freaks me the hell out.

17. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I understand your position. Were I in the same boat I suppose I would have made the swim in record time and come out relatively dry.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Wuss.

In all seriousness, I would have probably turned the water yellow had I been in your position

19. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I suppose my phobia is to be driving on a road alongside a river and having the road collapse with me in the car into the river. Bridges, no problem, but this freaks me the hell out.

20. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Several years back, I was down in Panama City Beach in the ocean and got bumped by a rather large gray looking animal, looked over and saw a fin break the surface. After doing my Jesus impersonation and making it to the beach, I looked back out... it was a ****ing porpoise... if I had had a gun, that son of a [itch bay] would've been dead.