Predict Where Manziel will be drafted

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, May 5, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

dalton has better talent around him. he's had more put on his shoulders, but i've never been convinced you can learn to not make mistakes. Look at favre. He learned it for all of 3 years and then regressed back to the guy he was all along.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wilson is a hell of a qb. He just didn't fit in the nice little box that a nfl qb should look like because of his size. He's a smart guy that is tough as shit though. I'll hitch my wagon to a horse like that any day of the week

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Cleveland Browns.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hitch away. He's peaked.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Well it will be hard to do more than winning a Super Bowl, so good call. He'll remain a solid qb though

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

So you must like Manziel?

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I like him but I see him as a 2nd round talent that will be over drafted due to a weak qb class.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Will be interesting to see how his role changes as that roster changes.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think this QB class is strong. Last year's class was one where your statement would be more accurate had an Aaron Murray left early.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This class has a lot of guy that rate the same, and none of them should be more than late first round picks at best due to talent.

If you take one early, you're reaching and taking one on need while passing on a better player at other positions.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think Manziel and Bridgewater could both step into a huddle and be performing at the League's average come late October. Do you not see that happening for any 2 QBs in the draft?

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I could see both doing very well, but I don't think the risk is worth it early. You have some really good talent at outside linebacker, tackle and defensive end that would be crazy to pass.

I think Houston is in the best position to take a chance on a QB, due to their defense already being strong. However, I think you'd have to be smoking crack to draft any of these QBs number one over all.

13. kidbourbon

Are you a betting man? You can get good odds on that.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Your sentiments are equal to mine when it comes to taking an OT, C, or DT with picks 1-15, but GMs do it every year. Teams think they are drafting the next Tarik Glenn when they take a an OT early.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The majority of QBs taken early go to shitty situations and never get developed.

Alex Smith is a good example. How many HCs and OCs did he go through?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Wilson was far more nfl ready. He ran an NFL offense and had nfl footwork and delivery. Manziel is also getting the "wilson was short too!" pass.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Good question. I'm thinking Erikson, Nolan, Singletary, then Harbaugh. No telling how many OCs.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pretty sure he had a new one every year.

19. kidbourbon

(1)
    Excellent point, Captain Hindsight. That's why the general consensus was that he had a limited ceiling and projected as a career backup.

(2)
    You mean the Wisconsin offense? The one he picked up in three weeks of Fall practice? Those NFL offenses must be super tricky to learn.

(3)
    Jesus tap-dancing Christ. Where should I start?

(a) Do you have any basis for these claims? Or are you resorting back to your tactics from the Blake Bortles thread? You know, making stuff up and posting it as fact.
    (b) What exactly constitutes NFL footwork?
    (c) What exactly constitutes an NFL delivery?
    (d) If NFL GMs actually look to footwork and throwing motion* in their evaluation of NFL QBs, then they are even dumber than I thought they were.
    (i) Regarding footwork:
    (A) If NFL coaches can't teach a guy with feet like Manziel proper footwork, then I would have to ask them: what is it that you do here?​
    (ii) Regarding throwing motion:
    (A) If you're an NBA GM who isn't retarded and you're looking to draft a shooting guard, do you take the guy who shoots 50% from behind the arc with an ugly shooting motion, or the guy who shoots 29% but with a stroke resembling Ray Allen's? In other words, if a QB is accurate and gets the ball out quickly, then why would even a second of thought be given to his throwing motion?​

(4)
    And rightfully so. Or are you suggesting that height should trump all other considerations? "Yeah, fock it, let's take Bortles with the first pick. He's 6'5", and tall QBs always work out. They never turn out to be busts.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean, they definitely look at footwork and throwing motion. It's connected to accuracy, but not necessarily completion percentage. It's how you determine a guy like Tebow, who had a good completion percentage in college, wouldn't be able to keep it up in the pros.