Predict Where Manziel will be drafted

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, May 5, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You just defended his passing.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so you have no explanation. great.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no i didn't. i posted a bunch of people saying he had a good arm.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm saying there's been a lot of guys that were supposedly locks to be great at the qb spot that have been merely average.

Vick could do everything manziel can do better as a college player and look at his nfl career

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Way to dog him out

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Defying what odds? Your post makes no sense.

Edit: are you talking height?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Vick couldnt win a game through the air. Manziel can.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not just height, but the way he plays the game.

9. kidbourbon

What explanation could I possibly have? You've solved the puzzle. It's the brilliant "6'2 watchtower theory". It's groundbreaking. You've changed football as we know it.

QB Field of Vision According to Droski
    71 inches and below: Stevie Wonder
    72 inches: Endless horizons

It has been written. There is nothing else to add.

10. kidbourbon

(1)
    Sure.

(2)
    Except throw accurately. And read a playbook.*

*I actually like Vick. I would have liked to have seen him succeed more than he did. The reason he wasn't more productive in his prime years is because he never even attempted to learn the Falcon's offense, and he's subsequently admitted as much.**
    **Basically, using Michael Vick as evidence to support a theory that Manziel won't succeed in the NFL is silly. It's a sample size of one. And they're very different players to boot.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He may have said that, but I don't believe it. I think he's just dumb.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So it's just a massive coincidence?

13. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

So,you think Vick was a more accurate passer than Manziel in college?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Vick didn't have 3 nfl top 10 picks surrounding him including a likely first round olineman next year.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's more accurate than Vick, but that's not exactly a sign of greatness.

The offense Sumlin coaches has produced video game stats for years. Manziel is the first qb with wheels that has been in it.

16. kidbourbon

No, it's not a coincidence. But your rationale is beyond bunk.

You want an explanation for why QBs have trended taller? I'll give you a couple. They're somewhat interrelated. Well actually I guess it's really just one explanation.
    People generally are trending taller.*
    Now think back to when you were in HS. What kid was the QB of your HS football team? What skills did he need to possess? There are two main ones: (1) he needs to have a live arm, and (2) he needs to generally be a good athlete. Generally speaking, taller kids can throw a football farther than shorter kids.** Generally speaking, really tall kids aren't particularly agile.*** And so the kids that will end up at QB are the ones who have a nice blend of the two characteristics mentioned above: live arm and athleticism. Again, people are trending taller. So it shouldn't be a surprise that kids who end up at QB are a few inches taller than they were 40 years ago.

What can we learn from this?
    1. Going forward, the 6'0 elite QB will continue to be the exception rather than the rule. This is, again, because normally the 6'0 kid can't throw quite like the 6'3 kid, but you do see 6'3 kids who can move like 6'0 kids.
    2. But when you get a 6'0 kid who can throw just as good or better than all the 6'3 kid, then there's nothing inherently advantageous about having the 6'3 kid as your QB over the 6'0 kid. And this is especially true when the 6'0 is such a crazy good athlete that they just don't yet make 6'3 kids that can move like he can move.

I hope all that was clear. And I hope you will someday come to understand, if not publicly acknowledge, how comprehensively absurd your "6-2 watchtower field of vision theory" really is. Hey, we all make mistakes. It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So why so few exceptions to the rule?

18. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

My question was in reference to this post "Vick could do everything manziel can do better as a college player and look at his nfl career"
    I could care less what offense Sumlin runs. Manziel is a more accurate passer and has a higher football IQ than Vick.
    Vick gets the edge in arm strength and athleticism only.

19. kidbourbon

Manziel didn't play in the Big East.

Also, you've written the above approximately 487 times now. Please don't write it again, or I will be forced to gouge my eyes out with a spork.

20. kidbourbon

Is this in response to my post? Because if it is, are you sure you read my post? Maybe try one more time.