POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Is the main concern here the precedent of an ex-POTUS facing criminal charges, or is it the relative petty nature of the hush money case?

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

In my life time, imo, it was Nixon's pardon that made all future Presidents believe they were above the law. The powerbrokers convinced the citizens that "This is the Way".

Had Nixon been indicted before he was pardoned, then I like to hope that perhaps Trump would have not done some of the things he is alleged to have done.

While this will be viewed by many as political and of no significance (politically or legally) I view it as breaking the seal and have to trust the Grand Jury's review and analysis of the facts presented.

I suspect that Trump will make money off the backs of his supporters as a result of this indictment.

Like others, I think the more serious legal predicament will be the Georgia issue.

I have always felt that no person is above Law, and should be held accountable, i.e., President, former President, potential Presidential candidate. While some may have more resources to evade the Law, they should still be held accountable and tried by a Jury of Americans.

IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm concerned if they don't have it nailed down tight. Don't rattle this cage without the goods.

TennTradition likes this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. You have to win this or it opens up a shit storm.

5. gcbvol

I think this NY case sounds thin. Criminal? Probably, but relatively minor.

There should be no class above the law, but context is critical. If you're going after an ex-POTUS I feel it needs to be a serious crime. GA has that potential, NY not so much.

warhammer and zehr27 like this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

No way they actually win this case. It’s weak af.

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’ll put it this way: imagine this exact thing is happening in Florida now to the leading Democrat Presidential Candidate. How would we feel? Indifference? Satisfaction? I really doubt it. Reps would be labeled things like “fascists” “tyrants”, ect from Dems and their voters like always. Except a tad more passionately than usual I’m willing to bet

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  8. gcbvol

I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, but there was a crime committed. Let's not pretend this is happening to an innocent person.

While I do not believe this NY case should be prosecuted, it's not constructed out of air.

9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I will assume this is tribal hyperbole.

I will admit that I have no clue what the Grand Jury saw/heard or what a jury will decide.

I will say he will make bank on it.

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

For me, I don't give shit what tribe you claim. If a grand jury indicts then you go to court like all of us busted with a bag of Mexican dirt weed.

gcbvol likes this.
  11. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I’m not very worried about the precedent this may set at the moment, but can certainly see how it could go bad. But if these parties want to start pressing charges when the other breaks the law, doesn’t that just sound like actual justice? As those in charge of the law, they should be as beholden to it as anyone. Both sides that is.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

DeSantis saying he would not extradite Trump, which is against the constitution. So many alleged constitutionalists are phonies.

gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Look into it further. Plenty of non-biased legal experts are befuddled by this indictment. It's really pathetically flimsy. Also it is clearly politically charged and is relying on the testimony of a convicted felon on record admitting Trump had nothing to do with this "book keeping error".

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The phonies on the other side though. Phonies amuck

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Then a jury will find him not guilty if the facts presented indicate such.

They tried Presidential candidate Edwards back in the day. They tried Agnew.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

DeSantis trying to hedge his bets with the MAGA crowd should things break his way with Trump's current legal risks.

gcbvol and zehr27 like this.
  17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

They better nail him on this then. Otherwise it's like they are begging to give tens of millions of Americans a ton of extra motivation to put him in the WH again in 24. There will be a lot of political fallout for Dems if this case falls apart should they truly mobilize Trump's base over all of this.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I understand the political risk.
    I heard the same political excuses when Gerry pardon Nixon before they could indict him for obstruction.

It should not matter. I would like to hope that a grand jury of regular folks who were presented with the facts would not matter either.

I also hope that a trial jury would not either. He will either be found guilty or not guilty based on the truthful facts under the law.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That’s a great account.