Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Private Ryan

Private Ryan New Member

What happened with London?

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

UT backed off after Turman committed to focus on Looney and Black.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Looney isn't coming here. Henriquez seems a more likely prospect. All in all, a good, not great class by Martin that will keep us in the hunt for a tourney bid and near the top of the conference, but not much more. Of course, if he can get a few years out of a player like Hubbs that has met his potential and snagged a stud from the 2015 class, then this is a nice, solid nucleus for the upcoming group.

4. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

That's the way I see it. Hopefully we can start grabbing some game-changers in the next class.

5. hatvol96

That's how UT has to operate. Follow the model Maryland used under Gary Williams and Pitt has been following under Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon. There are a finite number of truly elite prospects in a given class and Tennessee, absent some fortuitous circumstance, isn't likely to be high on their list. Get quality players and coach them. That's the ticket here.

6. Unimane

I understand that this isn't Chapel Hill, but I do think it's entirely reasonable to get a top 50 or so player in more classes than not. Don't get me wrong, I feel good about the guys we have now and believe we have a good core but something extra is necessary. I think there's enough there in Knoxville for hoops to have this expectation. The class to me, typifies how I feel about Martin. I like him and think he's doing a good job, but there's more potential there than we're getting right now.

7. hatvol96

I'm not sure Cofer or Austin won't be in that range when the season ends. I'm talking about top 10-20 guys. UT just isn't going to get them. Michigan State has made a nice living off guys in that next tier. No reason Tennessee can't prosper recruiting 50-150.

8. Unimane

Agreed, although we have shown an ability to pick off a top 20 player every 5 years or so.

9. hatvol96

That's true. I just think expecting that is a stretch.

10. hatvol96

Also, it became quite obvious over time why one of those top 20 guys was available to UT.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They were saying on Basilio today that the Thompson kid is going to be a player.

12. hatvol96

I've still got questions about his ability to deal with top level quickness on both ends. He's skilled, but that doesn't do much good if the other guy can smother you.

13. Unimane

Oh, I'm not expecting the top 20 player, but I do think we have a better than average chance at getting a player like this every 5 years with our facilities and support.

14. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

JaQuan Lyle has decomitted from Louisville.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

SetVol, any reasons known?

16. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I haven't seen any reasons stated. Pat Forde reported it this afternoon, but Lyle denied it. He went on to announce tonight that he was reopening his recruitment.

17. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I'm wondering if UK has gotten involved.

18. hatvol96

I'm sure Pitino loves this, since Lyle's commitment ran off Quentin Snider.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Isn't that the kid from my hometown? I need to try to go watch him play if I get a chance.

20. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Twitter, Sab, and a sixer will get you front row seats, imo.